Mississipi lime Codex HL

eddi

I am trying to find out if anyone has started using the kalk we group purchased last month.  I started about 1.5 - 2 weeks ago and have experienced a significant loss of corals all of a sudden.  I have lost 2 frags and have had to cut almost in half my two largest colonies, including a simply beautiful deep water bali acro that had been doing very well.  I am afraid I have lost this one.

One colony started showing dead skeleton from the bottom and moving up, the other from the tips and moving down.  The two frags were dead by the time I saw them.  

I have changed nothing, added nothing other or done anything out of the ordinary other than switch from Mrs. Ball's to the new lime.  I am using the same amount as before, still adding vinegar, still dripping at the same rate.  The only variable has been the kalk.  Just coincidence???

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone that has started using it.

I haven't started using it yet.  Is it only acroporas?  How is polyp extension on other corals?  any bleaching or is it primarily RTN like?  Did the corals just die- 2 weeks after you started using it, or was the problem apparent right away?

Eddi,

I recharged my Kalk reactor with the lime about 2 weeks ago and have not seen any problems.  In fact my tank is full of new SPS frags/colonies that are growing and coloring up nicely.  Things seem to be business as usual as compared to using Ball's Lime.  Have you done any tests to see what your params are for ph/ca/alk?  I have never read about any problems with it (on RC) and I even have an endorsement by Randy the chemist guy on RC, but nothing is impossible.  Any others using it yet?

I use a 50/50 of that and my old kalk product.

My choice to get the tank used to the new product.

I have only done this for 5 days.

So far, so good. I would cut back or eleminate the vinegar.

Michael,

Yes, so far it has only been Acros.  In that tank I also have a bunch of clams, three large brains, a couple montis, a few stags, several millies and assorted other frags.  All seem to be doing well as polyps extension is fine.  The problem seems to be similar to bleaching, there is no skin peeling off, it just seems to die and spread.

Dave,

I spent my morning making a water change and cutting the colonies, I did not have time to run any tests.  I will tonight.  

Chip,

I was going to do 50/50 as well, but I ran out of Mrs. Ball's.

One thing I noticed is that after mixing, the water is not as opaque as with Mrs. Ball's and that I did not have nearly as much residue at the bottom of my drip bucket.  

Any others?

Guest Tmtplyb

Eddi,

After reading your topic, I did some reseach in RC about pickling lime there is a guy in RC Randy Holmes-farley a Chemist maybe he can point out the problems and solutions.  He is using the same product Codex HL. Good Luck! Sorry to hear about your corals. I am interest to find out more about this product before purchase it.

I started using it about a week, maybe week and a half ago.  I drip about four tspns in ~two gallons of water each day (yeah, I need to get that auto-topoff going...).

So far, I have not had any problems.  All seems well.  I have montis, digis, millies, and other assorted acros.

Sorry to hear about the losses - hope all else goes well.

Mike

Eddi,

Not again. I hope its not the lights this time around.

I have been using the kalk powder for over 4 weeks.

First i began dripping it using air line

tube and a 1 gallon jug. I did this for 2 weeks.

Then i installed the Kalk reactor and it has been kickng butt. The coral growth

is pretty good.

Hope you find the source of the problem.

Good luck

-krish

Thanks to everyone that has responded, apparently the new kalk is not the culpruit.  Good to know.

Krish, this is my fault.  Just last Monday someone asked me how my tanks were and I replied that they had been doing really well for several months now.   It never fails.

Eddi