That Fish Place

Norboo

My Nav and Mapquest said 3 hours but only took 2:15 minutes from Alex. Averaged about 65 to 70 MPH.

Large selection and low pricing.

I actually have gotten some hardware there - they've got a huge selection for virtually any pet right under one roof. Prices were pretty good. I found a protein skimmer there for $10 less than I could online.

But, it's a haul and their saltwater livestock prices are on the high side.

Edited by rancor1

Yes, it's worth the trip. I used to go to visit them twice a month a few years back since they were not so far from a customer of ours.

Anyway, their prices are about the same as other online vendors. Really worth a little members group buy road trip. :) :cheers:

That Fish Place is absolutely awesome.

I go there about once every 2 months, and it's a 2 hour drive from Alexandria.

Their dry good prices usually can't be beat, and they have a HUGE selection.

They are where I get my arcti pods, too, which are a miracle food.

They also have a very large fish selection, and a decent coral selection.

No offense to anyone, but this place has the BEST customer service of any LFS I've

ever been to.

I used to order from them online when I lived on the left coast, even with shipping

they used to blow away prices at the LFS.

Well worth the trip.

tim

I have been ordering from them for over 25 years! I visited once 10 years ago and I was amazed at the selection of equipment, food, media, etc. They were just setting up their livestock then, and I was underwhelmed. I am glad to hear it is better now.

A phone call to them when you need a part or have a problem with something you bought from them as always been a pleasant experience.

• 1 month later...

I also have been going thier about once every two months. I enjoy the drive up and buy dry goods they sell at a good discount compared to the LFS in our area. Shopping online with them has also be a good experience since I can have goods shipped by FedEx ground and it still arives at my house within three days.

Aaron :biggrin:

Guest Larry-T

I've been dealing with TPP/TFP for over 20 years and find that when I order things in quantity (filter media, gallon containers of chemicals, DI cartidges, rolls of tubing...) their prices are lower than any local store. I usually go up there once or twice a year and stock up on some of the frozen foods as well. I haven't been up there in a year, but will probably go this spring. Anyone want to schedule a WAMAS road trip to TPP?

Sounds fun. If we can get someone with a big vehicle, that'd be best.

I'll chip in for more than my share of gas.

tim

Hehehe, bribe me :clap:

My pickup truck can accomodate up to six people (incl driver) and we can haul half the store back :biggrin: (okokok just 4000 lbs worth of goodies :lol2: )

• 1 month later...

thatfishplace has great deals on both live stock and hardware, and as a bonus the shipping is cheap to Springfield and since they are within 250 miles the ground shipping gets here next day. can't beat that.

(edited)

I went there last week end. Even stopping at the 5 guys in PA, it only took me 2:30 from

Alexandria.

Best LFS there is IMHO. I don't know of any LFS that couldn't learn something from them.

Every order, even a $2 turbo snail, they treat like it's gold from taking it out of the tank

to packing it up. They box up most items, too.

(That's a refreshing change from seeing an employee at an undisclosed LFS take a snail out,

and toss it across the room to another employee who bagged it up.)

TFS is the place I got (4) 200 gallon Oceanic buckets for $99 at one point, too.

No such sale this time!

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

• 7 years later...

Just wanted to ressurect this thread as over the last few years I've made a long trip up to "That Pet Place" in Lancaster.

And I don't think I'll be going again.

They've changed their entire coral section.  They've removed many of the larger tanks, and the tanks in the main area all look very run down.  The still have a large coral selection, but they have nothing on several of the vendors in our area.  Many of the corals were bleached and looked in poor health.  They did have a large selection of ORA at least.  

I didn't come home with a single thing however.   The prices were OK but with so much unhealthy livestock I didn't want to risk it.

I feel bad writing this, honestly, but it's such a long drive from here I figured I'd warn others.  It had been about a year or so since I'd been up there.  I wish now I had spent the extra forty five minutes and headed to Pacific East Coast.

Yeah, I was there recently and picked up 2 clowns. I was not impressed with the worker there as he could not explain how they QT fish, whether they were treated with copper, what the sg of their water was, etc. He was also very rough in catching the fish and even dropped his sharpie into another tank in the process. I should have heeded all these warnings, but wanted to make the long drive worth it and they had a 20% sale that weekend. Anyhow, the clowns died within days due to internal parasites. Lesson learned. Will not make that long drive or purchase from them again.