roozens death camp

Guest tgallo

I stopped there once as well. I think I got suckered by buying live rock which turned out to be just base rock. Learned a valuable lesson the hard way. I don't think it had any organisms on it at all. I asked if he offered any type of discount for WAMAS members and he told me what for, they do anything for him.

yea i like f&f and brk more than roozens but where i live roozens is substantially closer and has stuff that some dont have so i buy equipment at brk corals at f&f and fish where they are in the best health whoever has them. the amount of aiptasia they have is of plague proportions and they have no lighting on tanks with huge anemones and other corals that require light as food. also what i assume they consider to be there quarantine section is the equivalent of rykers island for fish so i try not to go very often but when i am trying to find tubing or something not very often seen they seem to have it so it is difficult. come on johnny we are waiting for you to upgrade

yea i like f&f and brk more than roozens but where i live roozens is substantially closer and has stuff

Excuse me what is f&f and what is brk?

Excuse me what is f&f and what is brk?

BRK:

Blue Ribbon Koi / Marine (Manassas, VA)

Current Hours

Thurs - Sat 10-6 Sun 10-5

703-753-7566

Blue Ribbon Koi & Marine

WAMAS Screenname: johnnybv

F&F:

Fins & Feathers (Ashburn, VA)

m-fri 11-8 sat 11-6 sun 12-5

http://www.finsandfeathersstore.com/aboutus.htm

WAMAS Screenname: F&Fmgr

In the future, use the WAMAS LFS information page @:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3992

HTH!

Mike

Edited by quazi

Owning a reef tank is a dilemma?

Roozens is a trans-shipper.

I have been at many such places and they all have death.

Some say as much as 60% (or higher) of all fish taken from the sea die before they reach the local store. We don

Edited by Aquariareview

The point is that Roozens just DOES NOT CARE about anything aside from making money. They used to have good prices, and they don't even have that any longer--guess they are going with retail and not wholesale. They get great stuff, but Copps has already made the point that BRK can now get stuff just as good or better. Roozens is generally rude, they don't donate to the club, there are no WAMAS discounts and this list goes on. Therefore, there is no reason to spend money at an irresponsible retailer. I understand fully well what function a trans-shipper serves. But there are also very nice facilities that trans-ship, as as in LA, at which they make a real effort to keep fish alive and to treat those that come in sick. Roozens does not invest in equipment and it is only the sheer volume they move through there and their bizarre out-of-the-way location that allows them to skim any profit (low overhead). There are better ways to make money that are more ethical. I think that's the point we're making here.

That said, people should do what they want. But I know that I will go through BRK, Scales, and others genuinely interested in the hobby and in WAMAS.

All LFS's have huge markups on dry goods, but Roozen's is up there with Congressional Aquarium in the shamelessness department. My problem with Roozen's is not the death or the cramped quarters, it's the unreliable pricing. I have been quoted prices all over the map, but usually on the high side. I know what the prices are online and in other LFS's. Roozen's is not such a bargain unless they like you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Arlo

Rozens. Sucks,,,,,,,, they dont get acan lord in for $50.00 and Japanese angels for $400.00, blue carpets for $100.00 I SWEAR!!!!

Open your wallets not your pie holes!!!!.....they will treat you like kings....

YAZ RULES!!!!!

They get great stuff, but Copps has already made the point that BRK can now get stuff just as good or better. Roozens is generally rude, they don't donate to the club, there are no WAMAS discounts and this list goes on.

Is very simple you GO shop at BRK and I GO shop at Roozens... problem solved.

I will spend a lot more money for items buying them from people that are interested in the future of this hobby and care about our natural resources. Fish and corals are living creatures not simply inventory on a shelf.

Most people in this hobby just want the absolute cheapest prices. Sad state for the environment.

• 6 months later...

I like roozens. They have a large selection. better than any other store in this area. The store is a green house and looks bad but other than that it's cool. And by the way they are a wholesaler so your favorite pet shop might get there fish from them

Why don't we all shop where we are all happy shopping? And for whatever reason that may be.Whether its because of pricing or proximity?

Why don't we all shop where we are all happy shopping? And for whatever reason that may be.Whether its because of pricing or proximity?

We do! Sometimes we get in a bind and have to make a purchase in a store where we would rather not be seen, but most of us shop where it is convenient, where the staff provides good service and where the prices are reasonable.

I think every fish shop you go into has a lot of death.

Some are just more conscientious about removing them quickly than others are.

The beauty of going to Roozens is that when they have livestock death you can watch them feed the corpses to the barracuda. I saw it yesterday. Man, that thing has gotten big!

I was at Roozen's last week. Some of the acro mini colonies they had in that huge tank were looking bad, covered with bubble algae etc. I asked Jans if I could get a discount and he let out a big Dutch laugh saying "thess guy es traaying to do us a feavor!!!"

Also, they have about 2,000 clams in that giant tank. They should lower the prices on them.

I hit there today just to go to a fish store. The tanks looked much better than when I first visited 8mo. to a year ago. Yes, the selection is fabulous, dont know about prices; never asked..... but know I wouldnt buy anything without a long quarantine.