Recommendation needed on MH

SteveM

I am thinking about upgrading my lights and need some help. I have a 110 that is basically the same size as a 90 but just taller. With the extra depth I

Edited by SteveM

Anyone every hear of these and are they any good?

MH LIGHTS

Not 100% sure but I seem to remember reading that they were a fire hazard.

Ah yes. Look here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=Odyssea

And here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=Odyssea

And especially here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...;postid=7255667

Not 100% sure but I seem to remember reading that they were a fire hazard.

Ah yes. Look here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=Odyssea

And here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=Odyssea

And especially here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...;postid=7255667

Thanks, will defiantly saty away from those. So any good recommendations?

Thanks, will defiantly saty away from those. So any good recommendations?

When I was converting from T5 to MH I asked the same question. The overwhelming answer was that you can't go wrong with the 250w magnetic ballast pushing an XM 10K bulb. The overwhelming answer for actinic supplementation was to use VHO. I'm glad I listened. You can get retrofit kits for both here:

250w MH kit - http://www.hellolights.com/25methalretk.html

VHO Kit - Get an Icecap 660 ballast and 46-1/2" bulbs (so they will fit under your canopy)

Just my .02

When I was converting from T5 to MH I asked the same question. The overwhelming answer was that you can't go wrong with the 250w magnetic ballast pushing an XM 10K bulb. The overwhelming answer for actinic supplementation was to use VHO. I'm glad I listened. You can get retrofit kits for both here:

250w MH kit - http://www.hellolights.com/25methalretk.html

VHO Kit - Get an Icecap 660 ballast and 46-1/2" bulbs (so they will fit under your canopy)

Just my .02

Thanks, my next question would be this..... how does all this work? Do you build everything yourself? Is this done so you can make it all fit under your canopy? How hard is it to do? Is only one kit needed for the 250w MH or would I need 2 of them? The VHO kit, is that for the actinics? Sorry about all the questions but I thought I could just buy everything in one system. I assume that this way would be better?

I would do 2x 250w 14k and no VHO's or 2x 250w 10k with two vho actinics. Canopies are easy to build. And wiring is a breeze as long as you know what your doing. If you need help i am only 4 miles away and i got tools!

I have the 2X250w 14K combo over my tank too. I like the color and the corals seem to grow great.

how does all this work? Do you build everything yourself? Is this done so you can make it all fit under your canopy? How hard is it to do?

A DIY may seem overwhelming now but if you stay in this hobby you will be a plumber, carpenter and an electrician in no time. I doubt you will have any problems getting club members to help you. They never miss a chance to share thier knowledge and drink your beer. :cheers:

I would do 2x 250w 14k and no VHO's or 2x 250w 10k with two vho actinics. Canopies are easy to build. And wiring is a breeze as long as you know what your doing. If you need help i am only 4 miles away and i got tools!

This would be a good option. You can go with the all in one hood but for what you need it will cost you more.......especially in the long run. Take Chris up on his offer. Get 2x250w retrofit kits from hello lights. Before you decide on 14k vs 10k with actinics look at a tank with both. I've heard many people say that they 14K are great and they produce great growth. I like the 10k with actinic supplementation because I can do a little dusk to dawn effect as well as getting the good color and growth.

Good luck and let us know if you need any help.

Steve

Why did you folks decide to switch from T5 to MH?

IMO MH look nicer with the shimmering effect. T-5's dont have the heat issues that Mh do. Some people cannot grow mushrroms or coraline under t-5's.

Steve,

You and I have the same tank. I just got new lights for mine from hellolights. I went with dual 250W MH lights 10K. I should have the new system up and running this weekend, so once it's up, you are welcome to come over and see what the dual 250's look like.

John

and i have dual 250w 14k and you've seen mine

Thanks everyone for the information.

John, let me know when you're ready. I would love to come over and see how yours looks.

Chris, I will take you up on the offer to help. I'll let you know as soon as I decide on what to do.

This is a great place!!!

I also have a 110G with 2 250W 10K's on CoralVue electronic ballasts and 2 VHO actinics. I'm very happy with it. If you ever want to come by and check it out let me know.

OKAY, I have narrowed it down to a few choices. Please let me know what you think.

This is an all in one unit that I thought might be the easiest way for me to go.

AquaMedic Ocean Light 48" 2 x 250W plus 2x54W T5 - Black SEE IT HERE

This is a build it kit that is completly custom made.

46.5" Build It Yourself Retrofit Kit SEE KIT HERE

(This would also require something to house it in, including glass to cover it.)

Another all in one unit but a little more expensive.

Coralife 48" AquaLight Pro HQI w/pc's SEE IT HERE

(This one is only a 150W MH)

This is an all in one unit that I thought might be the easiest way for me to go.

AquaMedic Ocean Light 48" 2 x 250W plus 2x54W T5

I have a set of the Ocean Lights (individual 205's). Work fine & put out a lot of light........but the ballasts can be buzzy. I have one that is quiet & the other makes some noise - not an issue if you have them remote (like in another room) but in the viewing room? Might be an issue. The do look nice & perform very well.

I would go with option 2 and build a canopy. All in one units are very neat looking but it can be a pain if something goes wrong with it........you have to sent the whole thing back and hope their warranty department isn't crappy (*cough* Coralife *cough*). With the do it yourself kit you have everything you need except for the canopy (you don't need glass to cover single end MH bulbs or the VHO). Also, if a ballast goes out you can borrow one or buy one locally (quick fix) as opposed to waiting for the manufacturer to get you a new one.

Just my humble opinion.

I would go with option 2 and build a canopy. All in one units are very neat looking but it can be a pain if something goes wrong with it........you have to sent the whole thing back and hope their warranty department isn't crappy (*cough* Coralife *cough*). With the do it yourself kit you have everything you need except for the canopy (you don't need glass to cover single end MH bulbs or the VHO). Also, if a ballast goes out you can borrow one or buy one locally (quick fix) as opposed to waiting for the manufacturer to get you a new one.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks Steve, I think thats very good advise and exactally what I am going to do. Now if only I can sell my lights. : )

If it were me.....I would gut your t-5 fixture and put in 2 aquablue+ and 2 actinics then add 2 250w de pendants. Retro what you have before scrapping everything. Hello lights sells pretty good de kits as well here.

Here is the reasoning: T-5 wash shimmer of MH. De halides produce more shimmer than Se so there is a nicer look. It's only a 4 foot tank so you don't really need the spread a Se gives you. Take up less space under the hood so the 4xt-5 will fit better. JMO

• 11 months later...