Science fair project

Guest Emily

Guest Emily

Hello there my fellow fish tank peoples. I am doing a science fair project on the nitrogen cycle.

My plan is to set up ten tanks and compare the regular nitrogen cycle with the cycle with added ammonia. I found this article on alternative cycling at Fast Cycling a Tank. I'm going to do the alternative cycle.

My tank set-ups will be:

five tanks doing the normal cycle and five tanks doing the alternative cycle. Each tank will contain five gallons of saltwater and five pounds of live rock.

I'm measuring results for:

nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate.

I should see:

the cycles start, stuff die on the rocks, and supposedly the alternative cycle will cycle faster.

I need to borrow stuff so I can run this project. ASAP, as the deadline is Jan 23 and I really need to get moving on this...

Here's what I need borrow. I'll return it after the project!

• Ten power heads; the maxi jet 400 would be preferred.
  • Ten thermometers
  • ACS grade ammonia (if possible)
  • If any one is willing to donate any uncured live rock, that would be awesome too. I need 5 pounds per tank (50 pounds).
  • Finally, I need one ten gallon tank.

Anyone who is able to donate will be a total hero and will save my ass as I have been procrastinating big time. Any donations are appreciated and needed as soon as possible.

Thanks. Emily.

Madison HS freshman

Hello there my fellow fish tank peoples. I am doing a science fair project on the nitrogen cycle.

My plan is to set up ten tanks and compare the regular nitrogen cycle with the cycle with added ammonia. I found this article on alternative cycling at Fast Cycling a Tank. I'm going to do the alternative cycle.

My tank set-ups will be:

five tanks doing the normal cycle and five tanks doing the alternative cycle. Each tank will contain five gallons of saltwater and five pounds of live rock.

I'm measuring results for:

nitrite, ammonia, and nitrate.

I should see:

the cycles start, stuff die on the rocks, and supposedly the alternative cycle will cycle faster.

I need to borrow stuff so I can run this project. ASAP, as the deadline is Jan 23 and I really need to get moving on this...

Here's what I need borrow. I'll return it after the project!

• Ten power heads; the maxi jet 400 would be preferred.
  • Ten thermometers
  • ACS grade ammonia (if possible)
  • If any one is willing to donate any uncured live rock, that would be awesome too. I need 5 pounds per tank (50 pounds).
  • Finally, I need one ten gallon tank.

Anyone who is able to donate will be a total hero and will save my ass as I have been procrastinating big time. Any donations are appreciated and needed as soon as possible.

Thanks. Emily.

Madison HS freshman

Well Club I know this girl and her dad, most of you are familiar with her dad, he is a longtime member and contributor of the club (I won't mention his name/boardname, is completely up to Emily if she wishes to do so). I donated to this project last Fall Meeting after Emily and dad talk to me about it and she persuaded me (very good at it by the way) into donating to the cause onto which I'm a sucker helping students on science projects. Anyways lets pull together and help this brilliant young mind achieve a AAA+++!!! Sorry Emily I don't have any additional equipment.

Raf

Oh, THAT Emily! :biggrin: Nevermind then...

I will see what I can round up, and bring to Reston to work. I will make your dad come round and pick up!

Oh, THAT Emily! :biggrin: Nevermind then...

I will see what I can round up, and bring to Reston to work. I will make your dad come round and pick up!

yup... THAT Emily!

:bounce:

Lemme know when to stop by...

s

I have at least 2 heaters and a thermometer that you can use for as long as you need them.

If a Maxijet 1200 is not too powerful for you then I have one you can use and I have a few other smaller powerheads that you can have if you want them.

You should post another thread in the member discussion since you will get more traffic there.

Guest Emily

I'm not sure if I need any heaters, it's probably a very good idea but the thermometer is definitely needed.

I think that the Maxijet 1200 is most likely too powerful. My dad says that a maxijet 400 is what we want. If you have that, it would be awesome.

got you a 404, 606, and another random powerhead that isn't too powerfull. Also a heater, and a pack of 10 stick on thermometers. Not real accurate, but precision might be more important than accuracy... They are at the office, 703-709-4263

If I'm not mistaken, I think turning up the temp and aerating can help speed up the cycle.... time's a tickin'... only 2wks left.

Also, not to disuade you... but it might be easier to do a freshwater cycle. Only need 1 good sized air pump and you could splice the tubing into all the tanks. Gravel's cheap... and I have spare gravel and strong enough air pump... if you decide to go fw.

Whatever you do... good luck.

Guest Emily

got you a 404, 606, and another random powerhead that isn't too powerfull. Also a heater, and a pack of 10 stick on thermometers. Not real accurate, but precision might be more important than accuracy... They are at the office, 703-709-4263

So I got 15 stick on thermometers and the pumps will be awesome. I don't think that I've got the time to be picky about their power so any thing not too strong will work.

Thanks for the heater too.

So that means that I only need a tank, and nine heaters! :rollface:

Thanks a lot!!

Guest Emily

Hey,

I got my tank and needed pumps from Craig! Yay! :wig:

Now all I need is live rock!

Thanks alot Craig, you're awesome.

Hi Emily, I can give you some liverock that I was going to send over to Zach Siders. It's fully cured and has some aiptasia but my guess is that if I pony it over to you it will become uncured rather quickly. I don't know how much I've got but can try and send some over. If you end up not needing it or if your project ends if you can send it back to me that would be great (you can ask your teacher to "pony" it, the FCPS system) as we are always setting up new systems and I never know where rock will be needed. I don't mind if you break it up into smaller chunks if necessary (just take a hammer to it) as I'm also not sure of the sizes of the rock.

I'm assuming that you're using some sort of experimental design to do this, so one of the intervening variables you will need to take note of is the type of the rock itself. Not sure of the type of rock this is but hopefully it will help out with what you're looking for. Let me know the name of your teacher and I'll pony it over to you. It typically takes about a day from the time they pick it up so that should give it time to "uncure". I'm assuming that your dad is the one who posted above so let me know how I can help out! I'll PM you my contact information.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...