No more floods from RO/DI

zmalexander

Found this interesting little device at Home depot for about $16. It's a mechanical aquatimer which can be set to run for up to 2 hours. It also has a manual on mode, which means it stays on without a timer.

gallery_705_112_17513.jpg

It installs easily to a standard hose fitting, perfect for those that run their RO/DI off the washer hookup's.

gallery_705_112_12572.jpg

Hopefully this will prevent a few floods for those folks that have a tendency to forget about their RO/DI.....

Zac

Guest tgallo

ok, why would folks run their RO/DI without a simple float shut-off valve?

:)

thats a good question and since im giulty, couldent answer you :cheers:

Because they fail too and it would take all the challange out of it.

Sonya looks at it as an excellent opportunity for me to mop and clean the laundry room floor.

So that item is a volume timer or an elapsed time timer?

So that item is a volume timer or an elapsed time timer?

Elapsed time timer.

They had a second one next to it at Home Depot, more expensive. I didn't spend too much time looking at it. It may have been a volume timer. However, I would guess with the relatively small volumes we use, compared to the volumes usually used to water your lawn, a volume timer would probably be pretty inaccurate for 5-10 gallons.

Zac

For me, the RO/DI unit is not connected directly to the tank, just a bucket. That being said, there is no electronic part to the loop. I manually turn the nob to the water flow and the bucket starts to fill. Since it takes a few hours for the bucket to fill, I often times forget about it until I hear the 'drip drip drip' of the bucket overflowing. If I had an auto-top off switch, what good would it do as there's nothing plugged in to turn off.

This device is something I'll definitely need to grab. Then I can set it and forget it!

FWIW,

The float valve I am referring to is not an electronic device, it's a simple lever arm that closes a hole to shut off water flow. You simply drill a small hole about 1/2" through the side of the bucket and screw in the float vavle. They are made so that 1/4" tubing (commonly used with RO/DI systems) mount directly into them. There is nothing to fail, and nothing to plugin. It's all mechanical. They are very inexpensive too. Mine was $19 I think over at one of the more expensive LFS.

John

:cheers:

I made something similar kinda. I bought a solinoid valve and attached it to a switch and a float switch. The solinoid is attached between the ro and the water intake. I turn the switch on and water flows. when it reaches the float switch it turns the solinoid off=turns water off. I really like a dry floor!

I recent brought an TYPHOON III RO/DI from airwaterice.com. They come equipped with a automatic shut off valve. See the attachment below float valve are $14.95 (1/4 in.) and $16.95 (3/8 in).

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/FV-14MA252

You need to have the ASOV to have it work with a auto-top off.

I'm using a autotopoff on mine. But after it's done making water, I usually turn off the water line to the RO/DI the next day... or two, if I don't forget.

Adding this timer would add some nice redundancy.

(my ro/di isn't connected directly to the tank)