Skimmer

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4
What skimmer would you recommend for a moderately stocked 125g tank?  Looking to spend in the ballpark of $300 and would prefer not to have to use a super large pump.

Take a look at ETSS Skimmers, i have  the 600 professional, it's an excellent skimmer, just plumb it in turn it on and tweak the gate valve to the right water level and your good to go.

I think everyone will have a different opinion of what skimmer you should get, as yo already know with this hobby, some things work for some folks and other things don't.

HTH

Anton [nana]

I have an Iwaki 40 RT on my skimmer, but the Reef Devils take a Mag 7, and can handle a 150 gal.

or you could run a pair of CPR bakpaks, or Remoras on the tank, check EBAY for cheap CPR's Aqua C's

Anton gvl]]

I'm glad the first one to be mentioned was a downdraft.

I made a DIY ets about 10 years ago and still swear by it.

I replaced a perfectly good tunze 230 with it and the difference was dramatic to say the least.

Even if you ignore the skimming, you can not beat the oxygenation pushing 600 gph of "white" water.

Definately not a becket based skimmer- these need huge pumps.  Jeff's exotic has a knockoff of the GSM(?) skimmer that use a needlewheel venturi- I've seen a lot of the GSM's in action and they work well.  I'm pretty sure they need to be run in the sump though.  ebay can be a good place to hunt for these things as well as the forsale boards at RC and reefs.org

Guest clownfish4
Grim at TRT told me to look into a euroreef.  Anyone have any experience with these?

I must admit having seen the Euroreef up and running at MS on their display tank, it made me question my descision on purchasing the ETSS, but i don't care how good a skimmer it is, in my honest opinion for my size system the $800 is not worth it for some clear acrylic pipe and a couple of pumps.

My ETSS is Sweeeeet

Anton tng

i got this guy. seems to work ok

skimmer by d&d marine

it cost me like 145.00 at the time though and not 180.00

i also my try to add an air pump for more foam. even though it still getes a lot of nasties out of the water. eeeewwwww the smell of skimmer goo.

those are literally the same thing as the euroreef (which is what I was trying to refer to above), only they are made of a cheaper acrylic, which in no way will affect the performance.  

here is a link to them at exoticfish.com  not sure how the prices compare\

http://www.exoticfish.com/results....7C0&af=

Guest Houshan

What do you think of the ASM?

http://www.globeaqua.com/asm.html

clownfish,

I use an upgraded ASM G3 (6" skimmer body) that uses a Sedra 9000 pump for my 125. I don't have any fish yet. For bioload I have about 100 snails, 50 red-tip hermits, blue linckia, 7 shrimp, mostly SPS corals and 125 lbs of LR. My skimmate is almost completely BLACK.  I highly recommend them.  The G3 normally comes with a Sedra 5000 pump (500gph).  I took that and put it on my DIY skimmer. :)

The EuroReefs use the EXACT same pumps and the skimmer bodies are similar.  The ASMs use extruded PVC to save on costs while the ERs use cell cast acrylic.  If you want to save money and not skimp on quality, ASM is the way to go - IMO.

I'll try and post some pics later.  You're welcome to check it out in action any time.

- Jose

go to exoticfish.com and buy euroreef.  Cheapest place on web that I have seen on euros.  Other spots like marine depot & premium aquatics will match online prices from other vendors.

I have one on my 120g tank and it works real well & easy to clean.

ASM are made by one of the partners who originally made euroreefs - that is why the look similar and use same pump.  They split and he made asm as his version.  Both would be good.

my .00000002

In reality, I think the ES models from Euroreef are made from extruded as well.  I know AquaC uses extruded.  IMO, I don't think it is so important to have cast materials in a skimmer.  One could make an argument on reactors or other pressure related pieces of equipment, but you will have a hard time convincing me skimmers made out of cast are that much better.

A Euroreef or clone would be a good choice.  I have an AquaC EV series that I really like.  These are the two types of skimmers that come to mind... when you mention a small pump.

Just make sure if you're purchasing a ER, that you're buying from a authorized seller or else ER will not warranty their product.

Also, I believe ER is switching to Dolphin pumps... but maybe only for their larger models.

Guest Houshan
Do the ASM's have drain tubes from their collection cups?

I don't know for sure but I don't think so (especially the new ones).  I bought mine used and mine doesn't have it.  Maybe it's an option that you could have installed.  I'd ask the dealer.

Guest Houshan

How often do you have to empty the cup without it?

How often you empty it obviously will depend on several factors like bioload and whether you're leaning towards skimming wet or dry.  For me, I empty mine once per week and I don't wait for it to be near full - around 50% to 75% full.  The other factor is smell as it is more noticeable when the cup is more full.