Quality of fish at lfs?

tygger

I've read the threads about lfs' in our area, but what about the actual quality of their fish?

This is only my opinion... and I consider myself a noob w/ sw fish, so take my opinion w/ a grain of salt.

The Reef Tank - seems to have good, healthy looking fish.

Roozens - they have a wide variety of fish, but they dont look very clean.

Marine Scene - they seem to have a nice variety and good, healthy looking fish... a bit pricey though.

Congressional - they have clean tanks. Anyone have experience with their fish?

Superpetz - they have a decent selection, but their sw fish don't look very healthy.

Wally's - they don't have too many sw fish and the ones they do have don't look very good. Displays are a bit lacking.

Am I leaving anyone off???

What do you guys think? Please share...

Well- Missing the baltimore stores, and tropical lagoon in Silver Spring (fish usually look very healthy, they usually date fish arrival on the tanks).  Only been to Aquarium center in B-more, and didn't like the condition of the fish at all.  What you have observed above is pretty in line with the concensus.  Nice thing about Marine Scene in they Q the fish before putting them on the floor- to me this is worth the extra $ for more delicate fish.  I have 2 fish from congressional- a clarkii clown, and a mandarin.  The mandarin was a new arrival, so didn't have time to starve.  One thing I do not like about the place is that the fish are put into those very small tanks- the tangs etc are usually in not very good health.

Guest reverai

Actually the saltwater fish at the PetCo at Bailey's Corner looks healthy. The have a person on the staff who actually has a salt water tank who knows his stuff though he is a beginner. The fish look much better than they did a few months ago. He is takes a few hours getting the fish ready to be placed in their tanks. Something I didn't see at Wally's a few weeks. They were dumped in  some blue water in a bucket and then about ten minutes later, dumped into the tank.

Steve

Dittos on above notes!

Being in sales, Marketing is key with show appeal right there!

Roozens, Wallys, take notes from Marine Scene!

Clean up your tank areas and displays a bit and you could add HUGE benefits to your bottoms line!

On Petco and other chains: I seen several in the area, #1 they are a mass sale location with the same policy as everyone else. You buy it, you own it! Most of the fish coming in are coming in like everyone else, the problem is at your better locations, they enter them into the systems in a way condusive to give them a good chance of survival later. Example: MarineScenes holding all fish 1 week in quarantine before they will put them out for sale.

I have to give Kudos to Jose at the Tysons Corner Petco: If he is working, talk to him, he will let you know what to buy and what NOT to! When he is gone, other reps have just sold fish right out of the "sick" fish tank!

Howard

Well- Missing the baltimore stores, and tropical lagoon in Silver Spring (fish usually look very healthy, they usually date fish arrival on the tanks).  Only been to Aquarium center in B-more, and didn't like the condition of the fish at all.  What you have observed above is pretty in line with the concensus.  Nice thing about Marine Scene in they Q the fish before putting them on the floor- to me this is worth the extra $ for more delicate fish.  I have 2 fish from congressional- a clarkii clown, and a mandarin.  The mandarin was a new arrival, so didn't have time to starve.  One thing I do not like about the place is that the fish are put into those very small tanks- the tangs etc are usually in not very good health.

Oh yea  :D  I live in VA... forgot about a few of those...

Take a lokk at Centreville Pet Store near intersection of 28 and 29.

Also take a look at Aquarium Pet in Leesburg just behind the new Home Depot near Leesburg Outlets.  I experienced both and they seem to have good quality, reasonable prices and basic good selection.

Jacob

Is it called Centrevill Aquarium?  

13830 Lee Hwy Ste 15

Centreville, VA 20120-2441

Phone:    (703)266-2100

That's the only one I found online.

I would recommend taking the drive up 95 to 695 to check out ExoticAquatics off Perring Parkway. To date, I think they are the first class store in the region, but everyone is entitled to their opinion :)

Yes that it is:  Centreville Aquarium.

Also, the one in Leesburg is:

Aquatic World  <--- great service, good quality

Fins Aquarium  <--- stilll can't find it

Pets. Etc.  <-- be careful with quality, and customer service !

Fins & Feathers

43150 Broadlands Center

Ashburn, Va 20148

703-726-1655

New and kind of crummy.  I hope they will improve as they age.  We seem to have a lot of pet store in Loudoun county, but none are too good.

Aquatic World in Leesburg is so over priced, I cannot stand it.  They are nice, but I guess there is enough money out there to support them.

Pet's Etc. - Sometimes has good deals.  But their fish and corals health are always suspect.  Watch for their 30% off sales.

Roozens may look bad, but I have plenty of stuff from them that has lived for many years.

Mike and Grimm at the Reef Tank are the best.  I just wish they would get in more stuff.

Centreville Aquarium as Jake mentioned.  The owner really tries to make sure the tanks & fish are clean & healthy.  The prices seem reasonable.

Also in Manassas -

PetCo

10800 Prom Lane

Manassas, VA 20110

Phone: (703) 257-6373 has drastically improved in the last year.  I wouldn't buy fish there yet but a good source for frozen food

CORDIS FISH & PET SUPPLIES

9067 LIBERIA AVE, MANASSAS, VA 20110

Phone: (703) 365-8966

The owner is very nice but I haven't been impressed with their SW offerings.  Nice for a last minute  stop to pick up a treat of brine shrimp.  They had good prices on pumps/powerheads last I looked.  They also sell water for people in that area

For those down my way, the Warrenton Pet shop has quite a saltwater section.  Livestock health condition and presentation were very bad though.  Ever seen a tank with coral for sale with so much hair algae you can hardly see the corals?  Then you had LPS skeletons here and there....   It is now under new management and the last trip in looked like they were trying to turn things around.  That has been a few months ago.  

Ex. Coral tanks were completely broken down and added MH's to the mixed coral tanks (some SPS/LPS) - formerly two 6' VHO's w/ abundant hair algae.

I haven't been in for a while, but it looked like they might be a place I would buy something from eventually.  Prices were another issue, so we will see.

BTW, where is Wally's?

Wally's is on Little River Turnpike, just of the 395 in Annandale right opposite the Ford Dealership.

Steve the manager is a good guy, he's unfortunately doing all the new tank construction at the moment, i have mentioned the state of the tanks a few times to the staff, standard response is, "oh, uh, yeah, i'll get that out later".

They've jacked up the prices to Marine Scene levels too

]]]bah

Anton

talking about Marine Scene prices.      bsg  

I went there to buy few stuff and noticed they had frags for $18 and two for $30 so I thought well two frags for $30 minus 10% it saves few bucks for froxen food; well that is not how it works.  There prices are reduced when buying on quantities then the 10% WAMAS members receive do not apply...  You only get 10% on single items at regular price.  

Exotic aquatics is pretty good and it is by far the best place in the region to purchase corals (in variety and staff expertise), but the Marine Scene has better quality fish.  EA doesn't quarintine their fish nor are they dated on the tank (sometimes you can get an arrival date from one of the staff, but not always).  This definitely gives MS a clear advantage in fish quality IMO.

Cheers,

Darren