500G in wall tank upgrade w fish room

I have had a WB 230.6 or 220.6 (180G) one for the last 4 and a half years. Wife and I building a new house so I decided for an upgrade, the original tank was ehhh much larger than the current one but I was told "we are not putting that in our basement". (She is not on here) but maybe one day..... So we compromised on a 8.5x3x33 inch tank that would go in the wall with 2 sides visible. The tank was made by Planet Aquarium and was installed by Armco Aquatics. Steel stand, rubbermaid stock tank as the sump. In the next 2-3 weeks the tank will be getting filled up and await the livestock transfer from my current tank. 20231208_123443.thumb.jpg.cdefdfdbd46b0855372885415d5daffa.jpg

• 1 month later...

Tanks trim is done, moving stuff into it within the next two weeks was hoping.to have had it done mid January but the snow bamboozled some building final touches. All my current livestock are in a 150g stock tank. 

For equipment for this thing I'm doing 3 mp40s from my 6 foot tank, those things on like 2/3 reef crest mode grew a tank stuffed with SPS for years, 2 on the right side looking at the picture (the left is open for viewing) one on the back wall and Ill likely add a maxpect gyre to the back wall for some more random flow. That and the return should be pretty solid for a good fairly strong random flow. 

Lighting I have 2 Oprhek Amazonas 960s. Those lights are absolutely insane, highly recommend giving them a look, they are beefy but really strong. I have 1 lighting the 150 stock tank to light acclimate a little bit. Its currently 6+ feet from some corals and at less than half strength and they are happy and open. I went with two of those for 2200$ instead of multiple smaller lights. 

Sorting through some ideas for return nozzles from the return pipes now. I had trouble with my 180 being to clean with ~20 fish. So I will start with just a fuge and see how it goes before adding any more filtration. 

Next up is the part I suck at... rockscaping 

262403.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

This is going to look amazing. 

Tank is filling up, has sand and about half full of water so far. Rocks going in tomorrow and setting up the lighting. Livestock being moved from their stock tank in hopefully this weekend pending no mini cycle in there 

20240304_112648.jpg

Rocks starting to go in. Added all of my very much dead rock and some of what I hope is still alive ish rock. Added some salt to keep salinity in normal ish ranges. Going to check for any ammonia/mini cycles and other levels in the next couple days to week or so before adding my livestock in. 

20240309_151747.jpg

Beautiful build start. Looking forward to progress.

I liked using Dr. Tim’s on recent seahorse tank i started end Nov 23. Also used water from my main system and few established rocks, & main rock is Marco dead & real reef branch. 

@Gatortailale thanks I can't wait to have it stocked. Trying to be slow, I've had some moving curveballs and kept mostly everything alive. I have about half my rocks from my 180 in a big stock tank with my corals and fish, I've added a few small ones from that into the main to seed it. I was only slightly concerned with some of the die off from some of my extra rocks but once the very much alive ones go in it would be enough. Kept them wet and at around 70 degrees and the ammonia tests don't really show anything in there. Hopefully have enough of a bacteria base alive when I add those rocks in it can do the job. I've done it this way before same as yourself did you run into any issues?

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Version 1 of get the rocks and existing angry corals into the tank. Everythings been ok for about a week now. Still have to fix the leaking bulkhead. Have learned of a LFS to never use again. Beginning to look for more corals to start to fill the tank in and let it grow. 

Edited by smokythemattman@gmail.com

Nice trim work!  Tangs look healthy.  Why does the water look low?

Smoky recently posted had a bulkhead leaking and still trying to solve the problem; so I think he is not using overflows right now until he resolves the issue.

Correct, I've had some back and forth with the LFS about it, they want me to pay to have them come back out and fix what I paid them to do the first time which I shouldn't even have to explain to them why I won't accept that offer. I've ordered new pieces so I await their arrival and will attempt myself. For now I am going to setup a funnel to catch the drops (right on the side of the sump of course) and hookup the returns so I can get it all going and see what the flow situation is. I had everything in a stock tank and decided it was time so moved em over. So far these Orphek Amazonas lights are insanely powerful. I have managed to have some bleaching on a couple leathers that were probably higher up than they should have been so have moved them and reduced the lighting a teensie bit.  

So far the setup is

3 MP 40s on reef crest ramping between like 60-100%. 

2 Amazonas 960s on about 60% most light colors except for orange/red. Probably to high still 

Couple Finnex heaters and the return pump is a chunker on from Dolphin I think. 

Fish 

Vlamingi Tang 

Hippo Tang

Chocolate Tang

Desjardini sailfing tang

Niger trigger

Female blue throat trigger

Marine betta

Royal gramma

Flamr hawkfish

Starry blenny

Mystery wrasse

Clownfish pair

Splendid dottyback 

Potters angelfish

Corals 

Toadstool leathers like 3 different kinds

Cabbage leather

Green slimer 

Some assorted zoas

Couple big gorgonians (still mad from being in a stock tank I think) 

Sinularia

Different mushrooms. Have a few rocks covered in them, I mostly got rid of the green hairy ones that were a plague

Kenya trees (down from probably 50) 

Xenia on a rock by itself

Other softies Im forgetting

Upcoming stocklist Corals

SPS of the easier ish fast growing varieties. I miss having SPS can't wait to watch it grow out in this tank. 

Fish to buy 

Melanarus pair or single

Talbots damsels pair 

Sapphire damsel pair

Dusky jawfish

Yellow watchman goby

Coral beauty

A Genicanthus angel pair TBD by what I can find in that genus

Moorish Idol (survival rate sucks but Ill give it a try in a tank this size) 

Yellow coris wrasse pair or trio 

Anthias trio either lyretails or dispars 

Probably others as time goes on but those are most of my current targets

How has your experience been with the marine betta? Been contemplating adding one eventually, but worried about it with inverts and smaller fish. 

@cpeguero he is super chill. I don't have any inverts, most I had when I set my last tank up 5-6 years ago so they died off. I never added more yet because of the trigger. The betta hasn't eaten anything in a few years. They are more slow/lurky. Just my take but unless it was a really tiny goby that just sat in front of the betta I don't think its much of a threat even then I still doubt it, they are more of a sit in a cave and wait for something to swim by variety, not really active predators from my experience. Mine could easily eat the dottyback and others and it shares caves with some. I'd pull the trigger, mine is quite shy during the day but will swim around here and there and at dusk/night he's out alot. I'd pull the trigger, super cool fish. Ill take picture of it for sure once I get a chance here soon 

Cool. Thanks for the info. I do want to add some other small fish and cleaner shrimp, but since the tank is pretty well fed, I may go ahead with it. I also have a couple of biota mandarins (which I haven’t seen for a while, though not that surprised) that are tiny. I expect I’ll see them more when they’ve grown a bit, so perhaps I’ll wait until they’re a bit bigger before adding the betta. 

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 10:54 PM, cpeguero said:

How has your experience been with the marine betta? Been contemplating adding one eventually, but worried about it with inverts and smaller fish. 

I have a captive bred one and the only thing he aggressively flashes is me, which I am cool with. It was very cryptic when it was small but comes out more and more as it has grown. Slower eater at first and now eats readily out of the water column, but still not a huge eater since it doesn't actively swim a lot. I don't have shrimp, but doesn't bother snails or hermits, doesn't bother fish and is super cool. I always stop to watch when it comes out. Usually just pokes his head out of the cave all day. 

EDIT: I've also read mandarins have a toxic and bad tasting slime coat so many fish spit them out if they try to eat them. 

Edited by nburg

I dunno, looks like you did a pretty good job at aquascaping for claiming to suck at it ;)