really quiet return pump reccommendations

astroboy

I need to get a new return pump for my 90 gallon. I'd like to get one that's really quiet. I've read that DC pumps are quiet and use less energy so I'm inclined to get one of those.

Does anyone have any reccommendations?

They use less energy if you use them at 20-30%. Running at full they still use a bunch. But I found that the varios 8s pump works great. I tried the Vectra pumps and could hear a hum. I don’t hear anything with the varios and I’m running it at 100%. 

I really like the Royal Exclusiv RD3 line. I have 2 on my closed loops, and they’re extremely quiet. I don’t think they’re actually DC pumps, but they are controllable (and a bit pricey….$$$$$). I used to have an Abyzz, which was louder than the RD3’s, though still quieter than any other pump I’ve used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, is this return just from under your display (in the stand), or are you talking a basement sump? I’m f you’re doing something from a basement up, the only real options are Abyzz and Royal Exclusiv (which I think just came out with a high pressure pump-or was that reef octopus?)

9 minutes ago, cpeguero said:

Also, is this return just from under your display (in the stand), or are you talking a basement sump? I’m f you’re doing something from a basement up, the only real options are Abyzz and Royal Exclusiv (which I think just came out with a high pressure pump-or was that reef octopus?)

The pump is in the stand. I've considered running it from the basement but long story short that's basically impossible. Thanks for your recommendation, I'll read on it them. 

Another option is a Sicce Silent line pump - even their AC pumps are quite quiet, generally, and they've got the history to backup their reliability.

Worth mentioning: the energy savings isn't as straightforward as it seems, as what's burned in an AC pump just gets put into the water at heat, which in most cases, means your heaters run less.  Now if it's already running on the high side, it can help, and the ability to vary the flow without a valve is a useful one, but unless you need the heat out of your system, what you save on the pump will likely be made up by the heaters.

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm going to give various a try. 

59 minutes ago, BowieReefer84 said:

If I was getting a return for a 90 I would get an Eheim 1260

I have a bunch of 1262’s 😂

I have the Vectra S1 and S2, and they are very quiet. With the (stand) door closed, I can't hear it. The skimmer and MP10s make more hum.  

Being this is my first foray into a tank/sump setup, I find that having a DC return pump helps me tremendously in finetuning my overflow. I prefer to reduce the flow by lowering the pump power, rather than constricting the gate valve. It's safer and much much easier. 

Good luck with your search.