Sump decision

TylerZinck

Looking for guidance on which to choose. I have a 150gal that I'm building and it came with a redflex 400 sump, which measures 45 wide, I really like the sump design but it pretty much takes up all of the under cabinet space to the point I can't fit a ato container and hardly any equipment in there. The same company makes a 300 model which is 8 inches shorter in width and would be perfect for my ato container and I can squeeze a few other pieces of equipment inside. I know the age old saying with sumps "the bigger the better" but would the 300 model that's rated for up to 300 gallons be a good choice. It's roughly a 10 gallon different in capacity between the 2 models.

Screenshot_20230516-190337_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230516-190541_Chrome.jpg

20221108_143009.jpg

So the age old adage of bigger is better has never sat right with me with sumps. Technically more water volume means it could potentially be a little easier for slowing issues, but not always the case.

Let's help answer your question. Does the current equipment you have fit into the other sump? Yes then next question. No then rethink your changing of sumps. Next is the new sump volume big enough to contain all water that may drain if the power is cut off? No then rethink your plumbing and sump choice. Yes then next question. Will the smaller sump be sufficient for all the equipment you plan on adding to it long term? Think reactors, fuge, UV, etc. Yes then I say absolutely go for it if it meets all the other things I mentioned.

Don't really need to overthink it. Also there are lots of great sump options out there so don't limit yourself to one brand/style.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I have a 120 and 90 tied into the same sump. I have a Bashee sump that has a fuge and holds 3 filter socks that I was running. I also bought a Trigger Platinum 39 with Filter roller to use. I have since realized I hate using filter socks and wasn’t sure about the roller mat. I wound up selling the Trigger and pulling the Bashee and buying a 40 breeder. My only filtration at this point is my Skimmer and 120 watt UV. The Skimmer is in the sump and the UV is beside the tanks on a shelf. I do run carbon from time to time but the reactors are external as well. I didn’t add baffles to the 40 so flow through is fast a very little detritus builds up and the sump is very easy to clean now. I feel this is the best sump setup I have had so far. I could add a stand alone filter roller if needed but I don’t see that happening.

The sump under my tank fills the cabinet. It’s a pain. Eventually I’ll replace it to free some room up. Go the shorter one and save yourself the trouble

Buy a glass aquarium for your sump that gives you plenty of space inside the stand for other stuff (like  dosers ato refuge etc).  You will be thankful later as your tank evolves.  You don’t need all of those compartments and they limit how you can upgrade your filtration down the road.  You will also save a ton of $ as sumps are super expensive compared to a 40 breeder at pet smart.  You can spend that money on more corals and fish 😉

Darren