MACNA 2023 (Pittsburgh) canceled

Origami

Just out:

The MASNA Board regrets to announce the cancellation of MACNA 2023 in Pittsburgh, PA. The Board is working on bringing MACNA back in 2024. Stay tuned as we re-craft the premier hobbyist-driven marine aquarium show in the US.

Sent from my Note 10+5g using Tapatalk

Let's bypass the rumors. For now, let's just say that success was looking very difficult to achieve in 2023. And, after 2 years of cancelations for the in-person event, and an underperforming Milwaukee event, that it is time to regroup and see if the next MACNA can return to meet it's high standards as well as attendee and exhibitor expectations. Pittsburgh wasn't looking like it could do that so, rather than further damage the brand, it was canceled and a new effort is being launched to make 2024 an unqualified success.

I'm sure you meant to say 2024
Ha! The dangers of typing on my phone! Corrected.

But 2014 (Denver) was definitely a success. As was ours in 2015.

That's too bad. I've attended several conventions in Pittsburgh over the past couple of years, most recently the American Homebrewers Convention, which was super fun, but probably a lot smaller then MACNA. 

1 hour ago, Origami said:

But 2014 (Denver) was definitely a success. As was ours in 2015.

If I could go back in time, I would buy every single Gonzo CSB I possibly could at the 2014 MACNA. 

If I could go back in time to 2015, I'd probably get more whiskey, and a huge banner that said "REGISTRATION IS THAT WAY" *points to my right, your left*

If it was canceled, the website has yet to be updated with that information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's coming.

Ticket sales for 2023 have long been closed as what to do was considered. Similar for booth sales.

If I could go back in time to 2015, I'd probably get more whiskey, and a huge banner that said "REGISTRATION IS THAT WAY" *points to my right, your left*

I can still picture you at the volunteer coordinator's station in your red t-shirt.

Thanks. Your effort and that of so many made the 2015 show a record-smashing success.

26 minutes ago, xabo said:

Any chance of MACNA coming this way again?

I'll give you my opinion as somebody pretty close to the planning of these events and some of the issues that surround it.

The simple answer falls in the range of unlikely to no. The reason is convention-center economics. First-tier cities (e.g., NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, and, to some extent, DC) are very expensive. When we hosted the event in 2015, we explored using the DC Convention Center but, between the cost for the venue, hotel, and the food-and-beverage commitments, we deemed it prohibitively expensive to go there. Instead, we took the show to the Marriott Wardman Park near the National Zoo and used all three of their exhibition show rooms for the exhibitor show floor. We had low ceilings, carpeted floors, and the floor plan was complicated by having to subdivide into three very large rooms, some of which were oddly shaped, but we managed. In addition, this club really turned out to support the event with a greater base of MACNA volunteers than I have ever seen at MACNA. People loved and raved about how we were easy to find (volunteers wore a bright red t-shirt identifying them) and everywhere. So labor costs were limited to union-support for certain trades and for event security. And it was, at that point in time and perhaps even now, the largest, most-attended, and economically most successful MACNAs ever.

But the convention-center model is a slightly different beast and, with relatively little competition in DC, still remains expensive. The event has, under the MASNA-managed model (in place since MACNA 2018) has relied somewhat less on local volunteers and filling some positions with paid, short term staff. These all increase costs that have to offset revenue. To close the gap, in a first-tier city, you have to rely on higher hotel costs, higher ticket prices, and higher exhibitor/sponsor costs AND increased attendance/foot traffic. It's difficult to do all that and that's the reason for why I think it would be unlikely that it would come back to DC proper (in the near term) using the Convention Center as the venue and the current MASNA-managed, convention center model.

Again, just my thoughts.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Origami said:

I'll give you my opinion as somebody pretty close to the planning of these events and some of the issues that surround it.

The simple answer falls in the range of unlikely to no. The reason is convention-center economics. First-tier cities (e.g., NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, and, to some extent, DC) are very expensive. When we hosted the event in 2015, we explored using the DC Convention Center but, between the cost for the venue, hotel, and the food-and-beverage commitments, we deemed it prohibitively expensive to go there. Instead, we took the show to the Marriott Wardman Park near the National Zoo and used all three of their exhibition show rooms for the exhibitor show floor. We had low ceilings, carpeted floors, and the floor plan was complicated by having to subdivide into three very large rooms, some of which were oddly shaped, but we managed. In addition, this club really turned out to support the event with a greater base of MACNA volunteers than I have ever seen at MACNA. People loved and raved about how we were easy to find (volunteers wore a bright red t-shirt identifying them) and everywhere. So labor costs were limited to union-support for certain trades and for event security. And it was, at that point in time and perhaps even now, the largest, most-attended, and economically most successful MACNAs ever.

But the convention-center model is a slightly different beast and, with relatively little competition in DC, still remains expensive. The event has, under the MASNA-managed model (in place since MACNA 2018) has relied somewhat less on local volunteers and filling some positions with paid, short term staff. These all increase costs that have to offset revenue. To close the gap, in a first-tier city, you have to rely on higher hotel costs, higher ticket prices, and higher exhibitor/sponsor costs AND increased attendance/foot traffic. It's difficult to do all that and that's the reason for why I think it would be unlikely that it would come back to DC proper (in the near term) using the Convention Center as the venue and the current MASNA-managed, convention center model.

Again, just my thoughts.

Great explanation, Tom. I've been to exhibitions/conventions at that Marriott and agree that with what you've said. But I also think that it's a great venue alternative to the convention center. I would think that for DC (and other first tier cities) is that we can have conventions like these in our satellite cities such as Tysons, National Harbor, etc. Are they just as expensive (now)?

Edited by howaboutme

1 hour ago, howaboutme said:

Great explanation, Tom. I've been to exhibitions/conventions at that Marriott and agree that with what you've said. But I also think that it's a great venue alternative to the convention center. I would think that for DC (and other first tier cities) is that we can have conventions like these in our satellite cities such as Tysons, National Harbor, etc. Are they just as expensive (now)?

Funny that you mention National Harbor. We looked at that, too, in 2015 and it was the most expensive venue of them all. I don't think that Tysons has the exhibition, banquet, and meeting floor space that's needed in any one facility. I could be wrong about that because so much has changed since I worked right in that area. Metrorail access to Dulles, National and DC make Tyson's a viable alternative if the floorspace and economics worked.

If, after recent events, MACNA has to scale back and, if they bring back club competition/hosting, then perhaps DC would be viable again. After all, we're a premier tourist destination and that helps traveling attendees justify the trip, tacking on a few extra tourist days. We'll just have to see what a "re-architected" MACNA might look like in the future.