Mr Aqua 22 Long

AlanM

26 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I think one more addition, an ERC Gem Tang!

Would love that, honestly, but no.  Once I run this tank successfully for a few years lets see how an upgrade looks.  

Already it's drawing more interest from the family because of the location.  They like watching what's going on in the tank during dinners since it's in our dining room.  I feed the fish the same time as we eat. 

If everyone in the house is emotionally invested in the tank, then it's a bit easier to justify financial investments as well. 8)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/25/2023 at 10:38 AM, AlanM said:

Would love that, honestly, but no.  Once I run this tank successfully for a few years lets see how an upgrade looks.  

Already it's drawing more interest from the family because of the location.  They like watching what's going on in the tank during dinners since it's in our dining room.  I feed the fish the same time as we eat. 

If everyone in the house is emotionally invested in the tank, then it's a bit easier to justify financial investments as well. 8)

you’ve cracked the code!

• 5 months later...

Tank is going well.  I'll try to get some good pictures soon.  

Posted here because I'm planning a switch from dosing 2-part BRS sodium carbonate and calcium chloride from my Neptune Dos.  Instead I'll use the DOS to do kalk through an Avast stirrer.  Maybe I'll use the second DOS head for top-off. 

The kalk will keep the pH up by consuming CO2 in the tank water and will also supply calcium and carbonate ions in equal proportions.  This isn't always ideal because alkalinity also gets consumed by things in the tank that aren't coral, so it can cause the calcium to keep increasing if you're dosing kalk mostly for alkalinity.  I'll have to keep an eye on it.  May end up dosing less kalk if it's making the calcium go way up and keep dosing a little bit of sodium carbonate.

Given my small alkalinity consumption it looks like I only need 0.8 liters of concentrated kalkwasser per day.  I tend to evaporate a little over 2 liters per day, so I'll still need a separate ATO.

• 2 weeks later...

My current tank is whatever I had in this tank just moved over with more water volume think I'm doing something right, as corals are all growing, but my SPS seems finicky in some locations with some pieces. However, my torches are all giant colony's now, so something's working. 

Need to check Alk for the month (seems I'm doing this monthly now, not daily.) 

At it's peak, I had 48ml each solution every 24 hours (98ml daily) Crazy to think about.  

Looking forward to seeing some photos.