T5 opinions

rrubberbandman

Hey all,

I am going to be using a 4 bulb 22" 24 watt t5 fixture 96 watts total over the 20 gallon high tank. I know LED is the popular way to go but I have to use what I have at the moment :wacko:.

I am looking at maintaining the live rock life and some soft corals/mushrooms/ricordea and of course a few fish and inverts.

Back in the 90's I used Ultraviolet resources for my bulbs (t-12 and t-8 ) but I am having trouble finding them on the net. Looking at giesemann or ATI bulbs currently and was wanting some opinions or recommendations for the mixture of the 4 bulbs, 10k-blu-actinic etc etc.

THANKS!

Bryan

That light should grow about anything you want with the appropriate placement etc. T5s are still pretty popular, I prefer T5 and LED mix for lighting.

Bulbs are tricky haha.. ATI blue plus seems to be the “go to” on a 4 bulb maybe 2/3 blue plus and then a whiter bulb to offset it some. I probably would skip the actinic in a 4 bulb setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That light should grow about anything you want with the appropriate placement etc. T5s are still pretty popular, I prefer T5 and LED mix for lighting.

Bulbs are tricky haha.. ATI blue plus seems to be the “go to” on a 4 bulb maybe 2/3 blue plus and then a whiter bulb to offset it some. I probably would skip the actinic in a 4 bulb setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that light will grow SPS. Just have to worry a bit more about energy consumption, and heat output. I ran a 4 bulb ATI over my nano (22 gallons) when I started, and it was phenomenal. Like @GOSKN5I now have a LED/T5 combo that is my favorite as well. 

Depends on the look you want. I run all blue + with white higher spectrum in the led. If you like the blue look, go all blue +, if you want some white balance, go coral +. Also depends how many channels you have.

I too use ATI T5s and reefbrite LEDs….my recommendation is 3 blue plus bulbs and one actinic bulb.  Or maybe 2 blue plus, one purple plus and one actinic….either would look good.  Just be careful as that is a lot of light for a small tank.

Darren

Morning!

BRS have a video that would be of interest in your decision. I was running 2 x Blue+, 1 x Actinic, 1 x Purple +. 

I do run hybrid T5 with LEDs and that bulb combination has the "color" that I want with the Modified AB+ I have with the Radions. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, rrubberbandman said:

All.

I ended up doing the 2 blue + , 1 Actinic , 1 Coral plus. Beautiful mix!

pictures!!! Pictures!!! :biggrin: