Fragging an elegance coral?

denis_anthony

Hi all. I'm just looking for some personal opinions or experience with elegance corals that have been cut/fragged. I'm looking at one that was cut and it worries me that it may not survive long term...I've heard of people who say "they're hardy as H-E-double hockey sticks, it'll be fine" and others who say "I'd never cut one or buy one that was cut". What are your thoughts??

I've no experience with it, but seems like certain types can be done. Note that this individual said the wild/aussie ones had a much lower survival rate in captivity. I hyperlinked that in there in case you're on your phone or can't tell. 

I would probably give it a shot if I had a QT tank, or a basket/box in a healthy tank I could keep an eye on it. I would ask when it was cut and how long it's been healed (or how long it has been healing.) Good news is, with a bandsaw, you can probably successfully propagate long term! 

I have owned a few elegance corals over the years and I would not purchase a fragged one…..they are pretty common and hardier than in the past, but I have found that saving a buck rarely pays in the long term……

Darren

The only way I would buy a fragged one is if it was fully healed and doing great (no signs of fragging.)

I've done one as part of a rescue, and so far, so good. But I've also seen horrible ones. 

My bigger concern is that there are still a lot of unknowns with ECS, and stressors could be a trigger. That may be why they have such a poor survival rate post-fragging.

If the seller is confident, and you really want it, see if you can place a hold on it. If it's healing up great and is healthy in two weeks, then there you go. If the seller refuses, then you probably know the answer.

Thanks everyone for the input. Because I'm slightly stupid and enjoy living on the edge, I've decided to pull the trigger and get it. First off, I'll say the coral itself is gorgeous; I'll try to get a picture uploaded once it opens up more. The cuts do look clean and flesh was growing back over that area. I asked the vendor and they said it was cut about a week and a half ago and was open and happy prior to shipping (I asked them for a video). I'm pretty nervous regardless but really hoping this pans out for the better.

40 minutes ago, denis_anthony said:

Thanks everyone for the input. Because I'm slightly stupid and enjoy living on the edge, I've decided to pull the trigger and get it. First off, I'll say the coral itself is gorgeous; I'll try to get a picture uploaded once it opens up more. The cuts do look clean and flesh was growing back over that area. I asked the vendor and they said it was cut about a week and a half ago and was open and happy prior to shipping (I asked them for a video). I'm pretty nervous regardless but really hoping this pans out for the better.

Hope it pans out, Welcome to WAMAS, BTW. As a member you might want to utilize our Buy/Sell/Trade forum with a WTB (want to buy) post. I'm betting you could find an unfragged elegance locally without the shipping or fresh cuts to worry about. How long has your tank been setup, btw? 

13 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Hope it pans out, Welcome to WAMAS, BTW. As a member you might want to utilize our Buy/Sell/Trade forum with a WTB (want to buy) post. I'm betting you could find an unfragged elegance locally without the shipping or fresh cuts to worry about. How long has your tank been setup, btw? 

Thanks! I've been lurking for a while and haven't had the need to post anything as of recent (saving for closing costs in NOVA doesn't allow me to spend as much as I'd like on corals/equipment/fish). The tank is about a year and a half old. It's an Octo T60 and I reckon they decide to either not make tanks anymore and stick with skimmers and pumps or they re-haul their design. It's quite unique for those who haven't heard of it or seen it, check it out!

Just a quick update for anyone who looks at this: things aren't looking great! Flesh is starting to recede from the skeleton where coral was cut (it was cut twice, one on each side) and the tentacles have shrunken and deflated; the elegance is noticeably upset and I don't think there will be a great success story for this.

This is the third elegance that I've bought which people have attempted to propagate. None of those three made it in the end. I'm no expert and I realize that one elegance may be happier with different parameters than the next, but my elegance that hasn't been cut is thriving...At least I got some cool photos and videos of it!

• 3 weeks later...

I’m a big fan of elegant corals too. I would rather spend a little more and buy a whole colony than a frag since this type of coral is very sensitive to cutting. Here is a pic of 1 I just bought few weeks agoead5c8dc987d5899e0cf455c27e20573.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a big fan of elegant corals too. I would rather spend a little more and buy a whole colony than a frag since this type of coral is very sensitive to cutting. Here is a pic of 1 I just bought few weeks agoead5c8dc987d5899e0cf455c27e20573.jpg

9 hours ago, bluestarfish said:

I agree though I don't have too much space for an entire colony. Lesson learned :/