Waterbox 270 LX

roni

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

If you didn't just sum my life up in one sentence, not just reefkeeping. I'm going to frame this and put it over my tank. 

It's manic, innit?! 

Haha, you and I are brothers from different mothers.  Between work, family, and hobbies, I'm sure it's the case for many.  I think reefkeepers that are the most successful longterm either don't share those traits or learn to mitigate the impact.  For me, hopefully we're at a point where we're doing tank tours again and just talking reef in person, as I'm always more motivated and consistent afterwards...and you always pick up little pointers that help improve your tanks (at least I do).  Barring that, automation and setting up checklists have helped.  

43 minutes ago, ArmyVetReefer said:

love the build thread and great tank.

I just setup a waterbox 180.5

Whats your fish stocking looking like currently and for the future?

Thank you!  I really like the waterbox tanks in general.  A few gripes but overall, good quality mass produced tank.

My fish stocking is pretty light right now.

pair of clowns

at least 1 mandarin (hadn't seen either in 2 months and then suddenly saw one 3 times the size of when it entered the tank just a week ago)

tailspot blenny

powder blue, convict, desjardini, yellow, purple, tonimi tangs

flame hawk

starki damsel

flame angel

will still be adding:

pair of fridmani 

pair of dragonface pipefish

geometric hawkfish

imperator angel

copperband

moorish idol

May add a group of anthias down the line if I get the energy to set up a larger system to condition them or someone sells a batch.  May also add a regal angel or 2 and a couple more flame angels versus a pair of rhomboids.  

Are you currently dialing in your dosing? When I was doing that, I was religious with Alk. Now that things are dialed in, I'm lucky if I did 1 test of Alk. I don't test anything else with exception of a CA test here and there. So yes, I know what you mean too.

10 minutes ago, roni said:

Haha, you and I are brothers from different mothers.  Between work, family, and hobbies, I'm sure it's the case for many.  I think reefkeepers that are the most successful longterm either don't share those traits or learn to mitigate the impact.  For me, hopefully we're at a point where we're doing tank tours again and just talking reef in person, as I'm always more motivated and consistent afterwards...and you always pick up little pointers that help improve your tanks (at least I do).  Barring that, automation and setting up checklists have helped.  

Thank you!  I really like the waterbox tanks in general.  A few gripes but overall, good quality mass produced tank.

My fish stocking is pretty light right now.

pair of clowns

at least 1 mandarin (hadn't seen either in 2 months and then suddenly saw one 3 times the size of when it entered the tank just a week ago)

tailspot blenny

powder blue, convict, desjardini, yellow, purple, tonimi tangs

flame hawk

starki damsel

flame angel

will still be adding:

pair of fridmani 

pair of dragonface pipefish

geometric hawkfish

imperator angel

copperband

moorish idol

May add a group of anthias down the line if I get the energy to set up a larger system to condition them or someone sells a batch.  May also add a regal angel or 2 and a couple more flame angels versus a pair of rhomboids.  

thats awesome. are you worried about the pipefish being skittish with the tangs?

Ya I understand the few gripes but im glad I chose WB over Red Sea. 

3 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Are you currently dialing in your dosing? When I was doing that, I was religious with Alk. Now that things are dialed in, I'm lucky if I did 1 test of Alk. I don't test anything else with exception of a CA test here and there. So yes, I know what you mean too.

Yeah, I have an automated calcium reactor and it's pretty dialed in.  It's been pretty consistent on weekly tests, which is why I've considered not doing as often but I feel that's the road to failure.  

I do check my co2 reactor gauge as part of my morning 2-3 min check of the tank before heading to work. 

3 hours ago, ArmyVetReefer said:

thats awesome. are you worried about the pipefish being skittish with the tangs?

Ya I understand the few gripes but im glad I chose WB over Red Sea. 

Not super concerned.  To be honest, most of my fish are free swimmers and get more upset with other free swimmers.  My bigger concern is the anemones as I'm not sure if I lost one of my mandarins to one of them.  

Newest addition, courtesy of @novatropicals

Healthy, eating well and able to hang with the bully of the tang, the powder blue.

Also priced as low as any online place but without the stress of shipping

PXL_20220208_003824149.jpg

44 minutes ago, roni said:

Healthy, eating well and able to hang with the bully of the tang, the powder blue.

PXL_20220208_003824149.jpg

Gorgeous fish!

12 hours ago, Apcoleman said:

Gorgeous fish!

Thank you!  A gem tang has been on my dream fish list for a while and it's been nice to see them come into the realm of possible.   I still remember when they were 2000-2500!

46 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Beautiful Tang Roni. Keep us updated on the fella. 

Heard good things about Nova. 

Thanks!  Things are settling into an uneasy balance.  We'll see if it lasts.  Yeah, Nova is a nice shop.  Clean and the owners/employees are eager to help out and open to suggestion.  They started carrying lrs food on a suggestion right after they opened and have also been willing to special order fish (my male clown came from them).   Opening during a pandemic is rough so hopefully they stay open and successful

Awesome! Yeah, much more affordable these days, I think they have been for a while. I was looking for a juvenile when I was setting up the old large tank, finding a smaller one was harder.

PXL_20220208_003824149.thumb.jpg.e8e312e1750a7f18bbd6d7c7349e889a.jpg

Nice looking fish, do you know whether novatropicals does a full quarantine of their fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)
9 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Awesome! Yeah, much more affordable these days, I think they have been for a while. I was looking for a juvenile when I was setting up the old large tank, finding a smaller one was harder.

Yeah, I had originally ordered a tiny gem from an online dealer who will remain unnamed.  Tiny ones are hard to find but this one was a good size, not too tiny to hang but about 2"

1 hour ago, pnchowdary said:

Nice looking fish, do you know whether novatropicals does a full quarantine of their fish?

They don't.  They've talked about setting up in house qt but it's a labor intensive process and truly, for stores it can be hard to justify the cost for the increased amount they can charge.  I don't know that anyone does a legitimate qt locally with multiple rounds of meds and observation.  A couple places condition and might do some low level copper and a treatment of prazi. 

Tsmaquatics does a great job with a legimate full qt but they are online.  I've been very impressed but shipping does add cost and stress.  

Edited by roni

Nice fish!

Just to piggy back on the discussion. Reefescape does the full QT with prophylactic treatment. As a result, it's not very easy to get fish as most are reserved during the QT period so you have to plan ahead. Check them out.

Nice fish!

Just to piggy back on the discussion. Reefescape does the full QT with prophylactic treatment. As a result, it's not very easy to get fish as most are reserved during the QT period so you have to plan ahead. Check them out.

I believe reefescape is the only one that I know of locally that does full QT, but it is really hard to get the fish you want, for the exact reason you mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 2/8/2022 at 11:19 PM, roni said:

Oh, that's good to know.  I'll have to swing by sometime.  They are relatively close to me.  

Its a good spot for sure. Fish can go quickly because Dave and his team really do a good job with the QT. That was part of the reason I was shocked when the multicolor was still there after a second trip. They will special order fish for you

19 hours ago, Apcoleman said:

Its a good spot for sure. Fish can go quickly because Dave and his team really do a good job with the QT. That was part of the reason I was shocked when the multicolor was still there after a second trip. They will special order fish for you

12 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Yeah, Roni, you've been at WAMAS long enough to know Dave Lin. He's the manager there.

Yeah, though given how long Covid has gone, it's sometimes hard to remember what anyone looks like!  Hopefully we'll be able to have a meeting in person sometime in the near future.  I'm bummed that I'm missing the March one due to work. 

I shot Dave a message.  Hadn't realized he'd taken over as manager there.  Thanks for the heads up!

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday photo dump

PXL_20220219_215832211.thumb.jpg.e339ea9e0fe4a68a61bc8fa85c4e40c1.jpgPXL_20220220_010617331.thumb.jpg.78f2f147a29b8c739c16d698525442a8.jpgPXL_20220219_191158456._exported_2764_1645306835689.thumb.jpg.9e314ca8e15890503a9784a5c99f6666.jpgPXL_20220219_203451597.thumb.jpg.23136782c908abd8767bfcad1a174a80.jpg

I also had a little issue with alk after thinking it was rock solid.  After having to spend time correcting and then overcorrecting, I bit the bullet and ordered a Trident.  Hopefully this will make monitoring a little easier.  Still waiting on a few more fish and slowly moving zoas over to the other tank.

Edited by roni

On 2/23/2022 at 8:49 PM, jhOU said:

the trident was a game changer for me. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on it!

Hopefully here this weekend.  I was initially hesitant but now very excited.  Hopefully it helps me have one iota of the success you've had!

On 2/23/2022 at 8:55 PM, YHSublime said:

Bringing back the Ric Rock!

I love ricordia and having so many varieties is pretty exciting.  Very thankful to pick up this rock.  

(edited)

So, I really like the Trident.  Easy to setup and it's been nice to get the measurements and watch the trends without having to manually check.  Discovered that my Magnesium was higher then I had thought and the low reading was due to an expired test kit.  Confirmed the higher reading with a new test kit.  I would have expected Mg to be a little lower since I dose kalk in addition to the calcium reactor and it should be a little unbalanced.  However, have been adding the tropic marin biomagnesium.  I'll see where the number settles at and then decide if i want to dose in the future.

Picked up some berghia nudibranchs for the soft coral/zoa tank and an aiptasia eating filefish for the waterbox.  I've noticed more in hard to reach places.

Otherwise, have an imperator going through QT at reefescape.  It's a perfect small specimen. 

PXL_20220227_170633862_exported_6068.thumb.jpg.640d39285eadcd834d8005e3445ca397.jpg

I also have a small copperband that's getting fattened up and conditioned to add at the same time, hopefully.  

PXL_20220228_233450817_MP.thumb.jpg.662f795a4f5c8566efcebf0809a3e784.jpg

Still looking for a few fish to complete the fish stocking.  

And a quick night time shot of the flame hawk in one of his favorite perches

PXL_20220301_030858019.thumb.jpg.d2b1560dafa41fd221e16d922b8ee9d9.jpg

Edited by roni

2 minutes ago, roni said:

Otherwise, have an imperator going through QT at reefescape.  It's a perfect small specimen.  I also have a small copperband that's getting fattened up and conditioned to add at the same time, hopefully. 

I saw that there the other week and took a hard look at it. Nice fish and will look great in there!