What RODI system do you use?

monkeymanolo

I am in the market for a new RODI and just want to get some suggestions on a low waste, high output system - something that is pretty efficient. What brands/systems do you like/use? What should my GPD output be? 

I've been looking at BRS, AquaFX and Air, Water and Ice systems but welcome any other thoughts! 

Mine is a no-name ebay one with a bunch of marinedepot/brs additions and I get great throughput.  Provided you have the input pressure (or a booster pump), I think the way to get high throughput is dual membranes.  You have a normal membrane (higher flowrate versions are generally lower rejection, but in low to moderate TDS water should be fine), and then you pipe the wastewater into a second membrane.  If, for example, you have 1/3 of your total input to the system come out as RO with a single membrane, you then get 1/3 of the original wastewater back as additional RO with a second membrane in series, and that much less wastewater.  You can also run them in parallel, and this works better with lower pressures, but you don't get a wastewater reduction, you just get more output.  The actual output speed will vary with input pressure, membrane aging, and water temperature (low temperatures degrade performance quite noticeably), but I had a 100gpd system that I added a second 100gpd membrane in series to with 70-75psi on the input line and I'm pretty sure I've been getting a gallon in less than 10 minutes since the upgrade (probably in the ballpark of 160gpd for the system in the summer).

If you really want maximum efficiency, it may be worth looking for a commercial filtration installer.  I don't know of a lot of aquarium designed systems that can get particularly high efficiency overall (>40% RO from the input water, for example, basically can't happen without extra techniques), but you can get whole-house RO systems using larger membranes with very high throughput, then just stick a DI stage on the end and be set.

I've used a Typhoon III Extreme from Air, Water, Ice (WAMAS sponsor) for over 10 years now. I've been very happy with it and the level of service that I receive from them. Sizing the RO/DI (gpd) depends upon your needs (driven by your specific tank/system size). Anything from 75 - 150 gpd should be sufficient for most. A key factor to look for is the rejection rate on the membrane. Look for a specified rejection rate of 97% or better as they'll help your DI resin last longer and, thus, reduce your operating costs much more over membranes with lower rejection rates (e.g., 90%). Personally, I run a single membrane as the wastewater problem is not that important a metric for me. 

On 10/17/2021 at 10:51 PM, Origami said:

I've used a Typhoon III Extreme from Air, Water, Ice (WAMAS sponsor) for over 10 years now. I've been very happy with it and the level of service that I receive from them. 

1 hour ago, JMsAquarium said:

I use a 150 gpd Typhoon III Extreme from Air Water Ice. i have been using it for over 15 years and am very happy with it. 

+1 to both the above