Weap0n_X's 120g Tank Thread

mosheikh

Hey, great tank!!!! I just bought a new 120g, 5' long model. Beacuse I have to replace my corals quickly since my best frag tank sprang a leak a few days- my favorite tank but it's well over 40 years old and that's considerably pretty good for acrylic!!!!

Anyway, I see you're using Amiracle prefilter, the 600 GPH model? I have the same prefilter and looking into making a sump out of 29g tank. What GPH pump are you running? I'm planning to use SCWD with Mag 9 as return flow but I know that 900 GPH vs 600 GPH might be unfair advantage but SCWD might bring the return flow down more...

Any advices would be appreciated, I'm setting it up and hopefully that I'll be able to transfer all corals out to the new tank by the end of week.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beacuse I have to replace my corals quickly since my best frag tank sprang a leak a few days- my favorite tank but it's well over 40 years old and that's considerably pretty good for acrylic!!!!

Have you considered resealing the old tank? Weld-on 16 should do the trick!

Have you considered resealing the old tank? Weld-on 16 should do the trick!

Yes, I got weld-on but I've been thinking a lot and was going to sell off my tanks and downsize to 120g. I got 15 tanks!!!! :lol2: As for 330g everyone been hearing about, I'm definitely keeping that! It'll be softy only tank after it is up and running and 120g will be SPS/LPS only.

Hey, great tank!!!! I just bought a new 120g, 5' long model. Beacuse I have to replace my corals quickly since my best frag tank sprang a leak a few days- my favorite tank but it's well over 40 years old and that's considerably pretty good for acrylic!!!!

Anyway, I see you're using Amiracle prefilter, the 600 GPH model? I have the same prefilter and looking into making a sump out of 29g tank. What GPH pump are you running? I'm planning to use SCWD with Mag 9 as return flow but I know that 900 GPH vs 600 GPH might be unfair advantage but SCWD might bring the return flow down more...

Any advices would be appreciated, I'm setting it up and hopefully that I'll be able to transfer all corals out to the new tank by the end of week.

Thanks! I am using the Amiracle 600gph overflow, and running a Mag 9.5 as a return. I used a ball valve so it slows the speed of the water pressure going to the tank. Good luck with your new setup!

Heres another update.

I changed the left side of the aquascape of my tank, also got rid of 4-5 softies, and got a few more nicer ones.

-Radioactive Dragon Eyes Zoanthids

-Dragon Eyes Zoanthids

-Eagle Eyes Zoanthids

-Creamsicles Zoanthids

-Yellow/Green Zoanthids

-Green Pocillapora

-Large Hammer Coral

-Pink Birdsnest

-Green Fungia

-Orange Monti Cap

-Green Digitata

-Purple Digitata

-Bubble Coral(Has 3 heads, 2 of them are damaged.. Got it from a LFS and got a decent deal on it, so I hope they recover)

On to the pictures..

Before

PICT1915.jpg

After

PICT1992.jpg

PICT1995.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eyes, Dragon Eyes, Eagle Eyes, Safecrackers, and Red people Eaters.

PICT1997.jpg

PICT1998.jpg

PICT2001.jpg

PICT2002.jpg

PICT2005.jpg

PICT2008.jpg

Bad things is that this month, I have a Green Algae on my sand bed. I am pretty sure it is from my protein skimmer being off for 2 weeks because I was installing my baffles in my sump. I was pretty lazy getting the supplies, but nonetheless it is installed now. I hope it goes away soon. I am going to test my nitrates,nitrite, and phosphate soon, and do water changes tomorrow morning. hopefully that will help.

PICT2009.jpg

Mohsin

Edited by Weap0n_X

Dang, seems to be somewhat identical to my set-up! I got mag 9.5, amiracle 600 GPH, and 2 seio 620 powerheads!

As for ball valve, won't that hurt the pump's performance and degrade the impeller over the time? I might consider using ball valve, I got 2 that I've been holding for my 330g project.

• 3 months later...
(edited)

Update..

I have not updated this thread in a while, just took a couple of pictures, will take more tomorrow.

Fish

-Yellow Tang

-Sailfin Tang

-Radiant Wrasse

-Black&White Percula Clownfish pair

Inverts

Rose Bulb Anemone

Cleaner Shrimp

In the next couple of months I am planning on adding....

-Majestic Angel

-Purple Firefish(2)

-Mandarin Goby

-Lyretail Anthias(3F/1M)

I also upgraded my skimmer to a Grey Sea Aquatics AP851, and installed a GSA Kalk Stirrer.

PICT2440.jpg

Heres some pictures as the tank aged..

PICT1299.jpg

PICT1916.jpg

PICT1992.jpg

I have a cyano problem right now, but thats just because I didn't have a skimmer running for 3 weeks.

PICT2363.jpg

I took out and moved some rocks around, the rock setting before was just clumped together.

PICT2407.jpg

Here are some random shots..

Looks much better in person..

PICT2409.jpg

PICT2411.jpg

PICT2417.jpg

PICT2436.jpg

PICT2429.jpg

PICT2431.jpg

PICT2422.jpg

PICT2424.jpg

PICT2427.jpg

PICT2434.jpg

PICT2439.jpg

Mohsin

Edited by Weap0n_X

Very nice young man. I would get a blue background to put on the back to hide all the tubes and wires, then move the overflow to the middle to get an even pull of water off the top. Coming along nicely. Sounds like you need to bug your parents so you can buy Steve's 210gallon :biggrin:

(edited)

Thanks Khanh & James.

I always plan on getting a blue background when I go to a LFS, but always forget. I would love to have Steve's 210g, but parents dont want to go through an upgrade at this time.

Heres a short video of my tank.(bad quality, oh well.)

th_PICT2449.jpg

Edited by Weap0n_X

Well, here we go again. I was really bored yesterday, so I decided to change my aquascape again. I'm pretty sure I wont change it again. I created this aquascape how it is, because I am going to add more fish soon, and wanted to open up the rock work more so fish can swim through the rocks.

Heres a couple of pictures.

PICT2469.jpg

PICT2475.jpg

PICT2483.jpg

Mohsin

I like the new rock work a lot. Will give you more placement options for coral IMO. What is your stocking plan for fish?

Thanks Dan.

Heres the list of fish I plan on buying.

Majestic Angel

Lyretail Anthias(3F/1M)

Purple Firefish(2)

Blue Star Leopard Wrasse

Mandarin Goby

Midas Blenny

Bangaii Cardinal(2)

• 3 months later...
(edited)

Heres a quick update..

Next coming days...

Monday: Aquacontroller Jr & Reef Fanatic pH Monitor comes in.

Wednesday: a lot of Fish coming in from Vividaquariums.com

Next Week: Grey Seas Aquatics M-8 Calcium Reactor

Heres two updated pictures of my tank with new rock from Marcorocks.com

FTS1.jpg

the tanks a little cloudy because I just cleaned up all the glass and blew off ditrius from the rocks.

FTS2.jpg

Mohsin

Edited by Weap0n_X

it looks great. I'm wondering what you like best about having the tank - the fish and corals, or playing with the aquascape

(edited)

looks great i especially like the way you set up the rock work on the left side of the tank.(is that one piece of rock or multiple pieces)

Looks Great

Edited by Connor

yeah I like the new aquascaping .. lots of good spots to put corals/frags

it looks great. I'm wondering what you like best about having the tank - the fish and corals, or playing with the aquascape

:biggrin: ... I just like to mess around with the aquascape until I like it. I actually had to tear down the previous aquascape because my Majestic angel decided to nip at some of my acans.

looks great i especially like the way you set up the rock work on the left side of the tank.(is that one piece of rock or multiple pieces)

Looks Great

Thanks. The rock work on the left side is actually multiple peices.

Looks like that rock from marcorocks.com is really good stuff. Good to know for the future.

The marco rocks are really good. I took pictures of the rock shapes I wanted and sent Marc an email. He took pictures of the rock he was sending me. So I was very pleased with the order.

yeah I like the new aquascaping .. lots of good spots to put corals/frags

Yeah, this aquascape is more flat compared to the ones I have had before. So it is easier for me to place corals.

very nice

Thank You :)

I have delayed my order for my fish order from Vivid Aquariums because I will be changing my skimmer back to a Standard Eight in about two weeks. So once I get my new skimmer installed, I will go ahead and place the order.

Heres some new toys..

PICT2813.jpg

Mohsin

Heres a quick update..

Next Week: Grey Seas Aquatics M-8 Calcium Reactor

Mohsin

It's great to get lots of toys for the tank, but unless you know what you are doing - how to use them, you may do more harm than good. I would also advise you to read this article by Sanjay on running calcium reactor. I'm just trying to be helpful so don't take this the wrong way, but looking at your updated photo of what coral you have in your tank - I don't see the need for a calcium reactor or the fact that there is much use of alk and calcium by the livestock in your tank. Until you get much more corals stocked in your tank, you may be better off with a 2 part solution and / or water changes.

Also - you got a AC jr. plus a fancy ph monitor - why didn't you just get a AC III where you can monitor and control 2 ph probes - appears your intent is to use one probe for tank and one for calcium reactor. Just my opinion.

(edited)

You tear down and rebuild your tank more than me, and have about the same sucesses rate as me.

I wish I had the money to play around with that you do. :eek:

How come you haven't used a background on your tank?

Edited by jason the filter freak

It's great to get lots of toys for the tank, but unless you know what you are doing - how to use them, you may do more harm than good. I would also advise you to read this article by Sanjay on running calcium reactor. I'm just trying to be helpful so don't take this the wrong way, but looking at your updated photo of what coral you have in your tank - I don't see the need for a calcium reactor or the fact that there is much use of alk and calcium by the livestock in your tank. Until you get much more corals stocked in your tank, you may be better off with a 2 part solution and / or water changes.

Also - you got a AC jr. plus a fancy ph monitor - why didn't you just get a AC III where you can monitor and control 2 ph probes - appears your intent is to use one probe for tank and one for calcium reactor. Just my opinion.

I totally agree that it may do more harm to my tank since I do not have many corals that consume alot of calcium. I was thinking of just installing the calcium reactor to my system and leaving it on idle. Once I have alot of coral, and my kalk stirrer is not keeping up with the calcium demand, then I will go ahead and turn the calcium reactor on.

I would have bought the ACIII but I didn't want to spend more than $400. Yes, want to use one probe for the tank and one for the calcium reactor. I haven't decided which probe I should use for the tank and the reactor.

btw, thanks for the link :) .

You tear down and rebuild your tank more than me, and have about the same sucesses rate as me.

I wish I had the money to play around with that you do. :eek:

How come you haven't used a background on your tank?

:wig:

I'm on summer vacation right now, and I have been working alot, so I decided over summer to fix up my tank and get more equipment, fish, and alot more corals.

I'm waiting for the coraline algae to grow on the back glass :biggrin:....Just kidding, I actually have one but I've been a little lazy putting it behind the tank.