New 20 Gallon Long

nanolong

On 4/27/2021 at 1:34 PM, AlanM said:

Normally there's a valve at the bottom of the full siphon that lets you adjust how quickly it drains.  The larger cross section of the larger bulkhead and pipe lessens the chances of that getting clogged up with stuff over time.

Well, that makes perfect sense. I'm kicking myself now for not going bigger. 

Did some rock scaping and got the refugium and chaeto going. Does anyone think I really need a filter sock with a skimmer and refugium? ATO bucket is on the side to top of with RO/DI water. 

20210428_133544.jpg

20210428_133516.jpg

20210428_133529.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Added some more rock and a few corals. Have a strawberry basslet that needs a new home. When I added two peppermint shrimp the basslet started to attack both the shrimp. Also, added two H ygger wave makers that are facing each other in the front of the display and a Jebao dosing pump that is dosing Kent's two part in the mornings. The chaeto seems to be growing well which was surprising to me since I just threw it in there before the tank even cycled. 

20210519_210032.jpg

20210519_210043.jpg

20210519_210052.jpg

20210519_210058.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know how I can silence this overflow? It is extremely loud. The sound is coming from the water dripping from the skimmer box. I've tried everything to get the water level to raise in the black overflow box but have been unsuccessful. 

61hfjZ1+vjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Provided those fittings have slip fittings on the interior side, you could put in a couple of short PVC stand pipes.  An inch or two long would raise the point where it was taking water up a bit and decrease the noise from water falling the overflow teeth to the bottom.  Something like an intake screen could also be used, but it will raise it by less (and could clog with time where a bare pipe wouldn't).

You can also try to put in some kind of baffle - basically if the water hits something before it hits the bottom, the speed of impact is a lot less for both since gravity will speed it up with time, of course you have to keep from blocking too much of the flow with it.

There would also be the option of reducing the flow into the display from the sump, but you may not be able to keep your target flowrate with a good noise level.

Edited by DaJMasta

Is that the Fijicube or the Eshoops? I have the fijicube and know exactly what you're talking about. I don't mind the sound as it's not very loud on my end but I did do some research. Like you've already done, you can raise the water in the back overflow box. But be careful because if you raise it too high, you're E-drain will not drain in time before the water overflows that box. I did a few tests to prove that so it is a real concern. The syphon on the E-drain is not immediate.

The other options, like above, is slower your return pump. The other thing is where your powerheads are. A quick test is to turn off your powerhead(s) and see if the drain gets better. If that is the case then tweak the location and speed of your PH.

Are both of your drains completely open in the external box? This is the eshopps, exact same one that is on my office tank. 

With the two drains and style of overflow here, you should be running this as a herbie. One of your drains should have a gate valve on it. The other drain should have a pvc piece in it (emergency standpipe) that you can adjust the water level in the box by adjusting the valve on the on the primary drain. 

The bulkhead that connects the internal box with the external box should have the water level hit about a quarter of the way up, that will make it completely silent. The only noise I hear in my office once I get it dialed in and adjusted right is my skimmer pulling air. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone for the responses! I've attached a few photos of the overflow box and return with the valve. I inserted the white crate box as a way to put filter floss in the overflow to reduce the noise but it didn't work. Adjusting the flow higher and lower hasn't done anything to change to noise volume either.