Least expensive 2x4x8 in Virginia

lstmysock11

Lumber is shocking right now.  It's around 3x normal prices by me.  Romex and electrical boxes are expensive too for some reason.  

You could do it out of Plywood.  A 4x8 sheet of 3/4" oak is $75 at lowes instead of the normal $45, but that's still not bad.  

6 minutes ago, AlanM said:

You could do it out of Plywood.  A 4x8 sheet of 3/4" oak is $75 at lowes instead of the normal $45, but that's still not bad.  

Well kind of need 2x4's to build the frame to cover with some plywood. Needs to hold about 1000 lbs for a 75 gallon tank

Doubt you'll find it cheaper. The construction industry is on fire, crazy busy and that trickles down to the home improvement industry too.

I'd look at local lumber yards or construction supply shops if you can - I'm not in MD but picked up some Cedar 1x4s for an outdoor thing a couple months ago.  Home depot had little selection and was comparable to Lowes, but TW Perry's was a bit cheaper and Fischer Lumber (in Rockville) was the cheapest per board and had a pretty big stock.  Just had to ask around a little, but it seems like for raw materials the big boxes can usually be beat by lumber specific places, and many deal directly to the public in small quantities.

11 hours ago, lstmysock11 said:

Well kind of need 2x4's to build the frame to cover with some plywood. Needs to hold about 1000 lbs for a 75 gallon tank

Nope.  3/4" plywood edge on is super strong.  Can carry 1000 pounds straight to the floor.  Much stronger than 2x4.