Algae ID please

TonyInVa

Looks like red slime algae, which is actually bacteria (cyno)

Agreed, probably cyanobacteria.  Probably a bit better looking than GHA, but generally similar treatment - lower phosphates and nitrates.  Since it doesn't stick down as well as GHA, it can also be indicative of a lower flow region of the tank.

Small amount of cyano. Does it tend to disappear in the early morning hours but reappear after the lights have been on for a while? Cyano tends to form films and, if you vacuum it out or use a turkey baster to suck it out, you can use the removal process to export the nutrients that it's feeding on. It's common and a bit of a nuissance at times.

14 minutes ago, Origami said:

Small amount of cyano. Does it tend to disappear in the early morning hours but reappear after the lights have been on for a while? Cyano tends to form films and, if you vacuum it out or use a turkey baster to suck it out, you can use the removal process to export the nutrients that it's feeding on. It's common and a bit of a nuissance at times.

Whats odd is I had been having trouble with zero nitrates and zero phosphates. This had been going on for quit some time even after over feeding. I started dosing N03. The recommended dose was 1ml per 25 gallons. I only dosed 2mls on my 120gal tank. The nitrates and phosphates are still zero. I am measuring nitrates with the salifert test kit and phosphates with Hanna ULR phosphate checker. So I am a little suprised to see cyano.

It's funny, but having zero nitrates and phosphates does not indicate that you have a ULNS system. It can also mean that any nitrates and phosphates are quickly consumed and locked up in algae, cyano, etc.

A tank overrun with hair algae, for example, often measures zero on nitrates and phosphates for this very reason.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

It's funny, but having zero nitrates and phosphates does not indicate that you have a ULNS system. It can also mean that any nitrates and phosphates are quickly consumed and locked up in algae, cyano, etc.

A tank overrun with hair algae, for example, often measures zero on nitrates and phosphates for this very reason.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Good point. I read about when researching ULNS.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk