EMERGENCY PUMP STOPPED

Josh&Sarah

A million thanks to everyone who offered help. I scramble like crazy making fittings that would work with my AC mixing station pump. 

I had leaking coming through the bulkhead where the return is plumbed. Probably from trying to manipulate the pump before I disconnected from the union. I still have a drip but not as bad. My channel locks don’t fit up there well to tighten. 

DAF1D1B1-DE78-4C1F-A42A-EBFBE3B5B2C4.thumb.jpeg.1c78e6643c0e7bed8242d9073e5e3c07.jpeg

Keep trying to hand tighten to stop the leak, I can’t tell from the photos, but if you can turn the plumbing, you can always tighten it up that way.

As for the pump, I wouldn’t sweat it, move your heater into the DT over night, get your wave makers to keep the water agitated or moving (which you’re probably already doing) and then call it Tuesday’s business.

If you have the ability to, and a small MJ or pump about, I’d consider making some NSW for a water change, just bc it never hurts.

My mixing station pump has plenty of power fortunately.... it was used to move water from station to tank inside. So it’s moving plenty of water through sump. Hand tightening is out on the bulkhead I think. I might hunt for different C locks. This stupid M1. At least I know my emergency procedure now. I had to cut tubing, make fittings. It was crazy! Now I start making WC Water 100%

I guess what I’m saying is if you can’t get the bulk head tightened tonight, it always an option to run sumpless for a night

I don’t think I have the supplies to risk getting into it.  I have to think about what I need to do. When I plumbed it I really made life difficult. Lesson learned. Everything is accessible but the bulkheads. Hopefully some creep seals it up some in the meantime. 

Now I gotta figure out what return pump to get. Thinking AC now. Thank goodness for my sicce mixing station pump. I could by 2 more of those and always have a spare and still come out cheaper than an echotech.  Not sure on the power savings. 

Thanks Tom. I think it stopped. If it didn’t it’s dripping once every 2 hours. Man....  what an adventure.  I just finished doing all kinds of stuff and got all cleaned up. All proud of the tank and boom.... M1 won’t turn. I took it apart looked great. Tried different power source. Nothing. I’m going to an AC pump. I’ll probably get a bit bigger sicce “silent” and call it good. Then I will always have my mixing station pump as a backup. I never used any of the features on my ecotech anyway.  I’m stable. Going to SLEEP. thanks guys. Appreciate it. Tomorrow I pump shop. 

Glad you got it figured out. I know everyone likes their DC controllable pumps, but this is one are that has always scared me with return pumps specifically. My mag pumps haven't failed me in many many years. I second the oil strap for this tight spot. Did you glue in the piping portion in the overflow box? If so maybe you could try and twist that while someone helps make sure the bottom doesn't move too.

I did not. It’s a tight overflow and the lid slides tightly under eurobracing. I didn’t glue inside for maintenance purposes. It’s a T pipe anyway.... middle pipe is return and Ts over herbie. It seems to have stopped. I’m just gonna be careful and not touch it. Now I need a new pump. I think I might just grab a sicce but one a bit bigger than mixing station.