Kessil users: A360x lens on A80 light?

AlanM

Does anyone have a Kessil A360x with the narrow reflector that could do some quick measurements?  

I'm using a Kessil A80 over my pico and the light kind of spills all over the walls.  With the gooseneck I can't get it down closer to the water, and I don't think the normal Kessil mount arm works with the A80. 

I wonder if the A360x reflector would just pop on to the A80 since both lights are the same shape and the mount is magnetic anyway.  It would get more light into the tank and would reduce spill, maybe.

Anyone got one to measure?

Alan, what type of measurements were you interested in?  I don’t have the narrow adapter but I knowing that it has a 55 degree beam angle, I should be able to provide theoretical numbers if you’re looking for coverage/spill info.  What area the dimensions of the aquarium you are attempting to light?

You will also have to get creative to mount the narrow adapter as I doubt the A80 has the necessary mounting magnets built in.

Lastly, the A80 is able to utilize the Kessil mounting arm using the “full angle adapter”.  That’ll allow you to mount it closer to the water level.

1 minute ago, DFR said:

Alan, what type of measurements were you interested in?  I don’t have the narrow adapter but I knowing that it has a 55 degree beam angle, I should be able to provide theoretical numbers if you’re looking for coverage/spill info.  What area the dimensions of the aquarium you are attempting to light?

You will also have to get creative to mount the narrow adapter as I doubt the A80 has the necessary mounting magnets built in.

Lastly, the A80 is able to utilize the Kessil mounting arm using the “full angle adapter”.  That’ll allow you to mount it closer to the water level.

Thanks for the info.  Mostly I was curious about the diameter of the hole in the narrow reflector to see if it would fit well over the LED hole in the A80 without losing too much light which would defeat the purpose.  I'm also interested in the outer diameter of the piece to decide if it would defeat the natural cooling fins on the A80.  

Footprint is very small over my pico.  10"x10"

After posting this I asked the guys at saltwateraquarium.com if they had one if they could see if it stuck to the A80.  I assumed the magnets would be in the reflector, not the light, but they said that it doesn't stick, so you're right about it not sticking.  I suppose I could use foam double-sided tape or I could try to design a clip and get it printed.

I'd totally use the normal Kessil mounting arm with the full angle adapter to put the light much closer to the lid, but I couldn't find any diagrams of how it would work.  The arm doesn't say that it supports the A80.  How does that ball joint go into the mount arm and still attach to the flange on the back of the A80?  It didn't look like the adapter could go up to 90 degrees to let the A80 sit horizontally.  Do you have a sketch or something of how it would work?

Yes, it does look like the full angle adapter mounts using the screws at the back of the light. And I must agree, it doesn’t look like it could pivot 90 degrees so the light won’t be horizontal. :mellow:  Now I am seeing your dilemma.

The narrow adapter does look to be the best bet providing the hole’s diameter is large enough.  If it is, you’ll only need to mount it about 9.5” to get the full 10x10” coverage so you should be able to use your current gooseneck.

Well I was absolutely no help, hopefully someone with the adapter will be able to chime in.

I have an old T5 retrofit reflector in good condition.  I wonder if I could carefully flatten it and make a cone template out of paper that I could carefully cut out and bend around into a cone.  The lens assembly on the bottom of the A80 has two little screws that I could probably use to attach it.  The lens opening on the A80 is 42mm, or 1-5/8".

I'd also have to do the angle calculations to figure out what angle to make the cone to avoid launching light all over the walls in an even wider spread from it!

Or I could just decide to live with it. 8)