Frag Tank Set-Up

lynn.reef.nerd

I currently have a frag tank with raised eggcrate inside. I am considering just setting the the frags/disks directly on the bottom of the tank. 

I don't see people do that a lot. Is there a reason? 

What are the pros/cons of having frags/growout on the bottom of the frag tank versus having a raised eggcrate design? 

Thanks!

I don't have a frag tank setup but researching now.  Looks like the benefit with the raised eggcrate setup is to have powerhead(s), sitting below the eggcrate, blowing to keep detritus off of frags and the bottom of the tank.

I've had nearly every configuration of QT and frag tank over the years. I often leave the frags on the bottom of the tank, but it's a pain during water changes (detritus likes to settle there). The frags also don't get as much light/flow, and higher frags may block the light/flow too.

25 minutes ago, JJKK said:

I don't have a frag tank setup but researching now.  Looks like the benefit with the raised eggcrate setup is to have powerhead(s), sitting below the eggcrate, blowing to keep detritus off of frags and the bottom of the tank.

I use the gyre and it is blowing upwards and across the tank. I have seen tanks where they put the MPs below the crate. But it feels like that's a lot of wasted hight spaces. I rather would use that vertical spaces for coral growth? 

8 minutes ago, ReefdUp said:

I've had nearly every configuration of QT and frag tank over the years. I often leave the frags on the bottom of the tank, but it's a pain during water changes (detritus likes to settle there). The frags also don't get as much light/flow, and higher frags may block the light/flow too.

If I place all the frags on the bottom, would that reduce the light issue? But then, the detritus would be the biggest concern. But I have also found that having them on the bottom helps my hermits and critters get to them better. I rarely ever see my hermits cleaning frags on the crate. 

One of the biggest issues I've found is movement. I've been gluing plugs to my bottom glass for years now because I'm out of space everywhere else, and it's a constant shuffle. If you were go to that route, I'd suggest larger tiles that have more weight to them. 

23 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

I use the gyre and it is blowing upwards and across the tank. I have seen tanks where they put the MPs below the crate. But it feels like that's a lot of wasted hight spaces. I rather would use that vertical spaces for coral growth? 

That's one of the reason I am looking at 15-18" height configuration as an optimal frag tank setup.  The gyre has a much narrower height profile(certainly less than a MP40) that you may still fit it underneath a crate system in case your frag tank is less than 15-18" tall.

I used egg crate with my last frag tank but if I ever start another I'll go to these placed on the bottom. I visited a guy once that was using these to grow colonies he was taking frags from. He had them placed on the bottom of a 12" deep tank. Pretty nice set up and from what I remember very clean. 

3" Coral Frag Tile

Thank you everyone.

The reason I want to take out the crate is because I am having aptasia issues. Tried peppermint and nudis but just did not work out. I brought one of my copperband over and he is doing a great job but can't get to the ones on the bottom.

I ended up taking out all the racks and hopefully I can get rid of these nasty aptasia. Will update later to see how it works out.

50afaa4129f96d0b04d64ff83031d812.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk