Aiptasia - argh

bues0022

So, I've been VERY lazy with husbandry for - oh, about 16 months. I was 1 hour of plumbing away from setting up my larger 120 cube tank when my world blew up from a really nasty divorce. I'm still settling the home fires, but in the mean time my tank has been neglected. Most corals survived, but inverts took a dive. I'm ready to start the rehab/rebuild/new build process. I DO very much have plans to setup the 120 within the next year (likely after a move though), so keep that in mind.

I bought a couple peppermint shrimp last night to hep tackle the aiptasia issue. I've had good luck with them eating the buggers before, but always have awful luck with them dying. One of the shrimp is already dead on the sand - drip/temp acclimated for about 2 hours, the kaput.

I don't think I have enough where nudi's are needed. What about a filefish?  Zapper? It's only a 30 gallon cube tank, and I can see at least 20 of the devils. I almost forgot to add: I also have some paly's going a bit wild, so if something like a wand is best - I suppose I could zap those too, right?

Thanks everyone - and Happy New Year!

Ryan

Edited by bues0022

• 2 weeks later...

The biological route is usually a gamble but if the peppermint shrimps survive, they’ll eventually help knock them back (and usually the most cost effective route).  If you’re going the chemical route I’ve had the best luck with Frank’s F-Aiptasia (this is the first thing I’ve used that didn’t cause them to spread when caught early).

My peppermints kicked the bucket within a day. I also found a tunze magnet had a crack and blew up (not Tunze’s fault - it’s close to 10 years old), so maybe the leaking orange goop isn’t good for shrimp!!

I kalk pasted a few, but I’m finding a lot of tiny ones now that I’m paying close attention. Maybe I’ll give Frank’s a shot.