YASSSSSSSSS!!!!! I am making RO/DI!!!!

bdyslm

Thanks to a fellow WAMAS member I got a good deal on a Marine Depot 4 stage. After several trips to HD, I finally got it all hooked up with wye between the washer cold water and hanging in the laundry room (theres a drain there and I'm in a TH rental).

No more schlepping buckets from Sterling to Centreville Aquarium or Capital Aquarium in Manassas and back.

I'd doing my freaking happy dance!

:wig::clap::cheers::thumbsup::lol2::biggrin:

Next up making my own SW.

If anyone wants to comment. I'm just below 80psi into the unit. How long should it take me to make a 20 gallon brute? Got the alarm set for 20 minutes. I know it will take longer but just want to check on progress. Next up is probably a float valve so I dont have to worry about that.

For making SW. Wondering if I should just mix 20 gallons worth in the brute? But then I'm dipping 5 gallon buckets in the brute to schlep it upstairs to the tanks. Concerned about contaminates by dunking the bucket. Highly doubt I can carry the brute up a flights and half of stairs and even I can do I want to? I could just make the RO right into the 5 gallon buckets but again doesnt seem like the most efficient.  Being in a rental that I know Im moving out of next summer, I dont really want to build out a full mixing station. I'm just happy to be making it myself at this point but more details to work out.

20 gallons the first time might make sense because I will need to fill my daughters new IM Nuvo 20. But on a weekly/bi-weekly basis I'll be doing a 5 gallon change in my nuvo 40 and 5 gallons in her nuvo 20. Unless others thinks that too much in the 20. Point is....I'm starting out with RSCP salt and I've heard you shouldnt keep it longer than 3-4 hours after mixing so making a whole 20 and having it sit there doesnt seem to work.

ok after the initial elation subsided....

do i get an inexpensive pump to pump water out of the brute with RO/DI into my second brute and mix the SW in there? That way i can do a smaller amount and it's easier to carry upstairs? or pick up and pour into the 5 gal buckets?

Edited by bdyslm

Buy float valves now, and still keep an eye on them. They're super cheap, $8 on Amazon. Spending the $8 could save you a butt ton more if you flood everything because you accidentally fell asleep, get sidetracked, or whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok after the initial elation subsided....

do i get an inexpensive pump to pump water out of the brute with RO/DI into my second brute and mix the SW in there? That way i can do a smaller amount and it's easier to carry upstairs? or pick up and pour into the 5 gal buckets?

I've always had 2 containers, one for salt and one for fresh. Most will recommend having two the same size. I've always had a smaller tub just for RO (for top offs and emergencies) and mixed salt in my larger tub. I just wyed the output of my RO into both containers with shut off valves to each.

so the challenge is that I dont have the space in the laundry room for two brutes. at least not side by side. if the SW holds and doesnt go bad quickly like i've read, I can also fill one brute, mix the SW in it, and replace that one with the other brute and have it filled with RO/DI so I always have some of both on hand.

yeah the float valves have been in my amazon shopping cart since before i got the actual RO unit. right now I'm running a timer on my phone...as a reminder and just get an idea of how long it takes to make a certain amount.

You'll regret not having a shutoff valve there even if you have a timer.  Probably everyone in this club has flooded their basement or bathroom or laundry room at least once with their RO/DI system.

If you hunt around on the forums you can find people who have gotten pretty inventive with floor space and have put brutes one on top of the other with a 2x4 and plywood frame and stuff.  I'd get a small pump and drop it into the SW container with a hose on it and just let it circulate in there until you need it.  Then you can pull out the hose to fill buckets to carry up.  It really is nice to have a container of SW and a separate one of DI.  You might also find some people here with extra roto-mold containers that would stack better in place for holding the water.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-5148GR/Plastic-Indoor-Trash-Cans/Uline-Thin-Trash-Can-23-Gallon-Gray

I think something like this will work since it's made from Polythene. Not 100% sure on that.

Rubbermaid (called the slim Jim) makes a similar one but it is a lot less smooth on the inside, might make mixing a bit difficult.

Two of them next to each other would equate to the size of a brute container.

Do you have a laundry sink? I use a five gallon bucket in the sink while I run water. That way if I forget it just goes down the drain. Takes about 40 minutes to run 5 gallons for me.
As for getting SW from your brute to a bucket. Just use water you use to remove water from your tank. Only instead of tank to bucket it’s brute to bucket, no need to buy something else.

Hey Brian...thanks for the GSP!

I ordered a cheap submersible pump off of amazon that I'm going to use to mix the SW and then when i need the mixed SW, I'll just hook up a length of vinyl tubing (have a bunch) to it to pump into 5g buckets for now. that at least gets me going while I plan something more long term and detailed.

float valve in on the way. brute dolly's are about to be ordered. need more time to plan a platform for ro/di container so I can gravity feed into SW brute.