Asking for a friend... (Palytoxin)

WARNING!* By all accounts palytoxin is extremely dangerous and I am NOT in any way, shape, form suggesting that any reefer attempt to build up a tolerance or immunity to polytoxin via any methodology.

Every once in a while I'll come across one of our polyp friends that will leave my mouth tasting like sucking on a wad of pennies even with intact skin. I used to be left with that manifestation for days at a time, now it's just hours. However I don't know if it's does dependant or paly/zoa type or if it's repeated exposure that's shortened the period of symptoms.

I'm wondering if it's ever been studied of if anyone else on here has a anecdotal stories on this.

I wear enclosed eye protection and gloves for fragging but I don't always wear gloves when reaching in tank. 

*Those of you who've been on WAMAS long enough will remember Steve's incident or my own both of which resulted in hospital trips and prescription medical treatment (Steve had it way worse than me).

PhotoGrid_1602653395619.jpg

I found this link interesting, and it indicates individuals can be affected multiple times upon multiple exposures.  Given its main site of action is on the Na-K-ATPase, I expect those transporters turn over every few days in each cell, so a person's recovery is probably due (in part) to the synthesis of new Na-K-ATPase proteins, occurring over a couple of days. 

As far as repetitive exposures - my guess if the exposures are separated by more than a few days - there would likely be little difference - ie the effects upon the second exposure would just as severe as those from the first.  If they occurred less than a few days apart you could get a cumulative - additive - dose of toxicity.  Not sure how the body eliminates the toxin though, and how long that takes, so that's another big unknown - at least for me.  sorry - this overlaps with my day job a bit.

Not sure if this helps answer your Qu.   

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6431a4.htm

You may recall that I suffered three times from palytoxin exposure. None resulted in hospitalization, but symptoms after my first (worst) exposure included chills, shaking, fever, low blood pressure (I think), wheezing and breathing discomfort. The second time, symptoms were considerably less, but I attribute that to being more cautious and exposing myself less. In both cases, the initial symptoms were wheezy breathing and a tightness in my chest. The wheezy feeling in my chest would be the last symptom to go away, too. The third time was mild, but I protected myself more.

Tolerance? I don't know about that. I do know that my behavior was modified after each exposure, though.

You may recall that I suffered three times from palytoxin exposure. None resulted in hospitalization, but symptoms after my first (worst) exposure included chills, shaking, fever, low blood pressure (I think), wheezing and breathing discomfort. The second time, symptoms were considerably less, but I attribute that to being more cautious and exposing myself less. In both cases, the initial symptoms were wheezy breathing and a tightness in my chest. The wheezy feeling in my chest would be the last symptom to go away, too. The third time was mild, but I protected myself more.

Tolerance? I don't know about that. I do know that my behavior was modified after each exposure, though.

Oh man I don't remember you having a run in. Just me and Steve. At least we're in good company

We have at least one more, too, that had a pretty serious run in. More serious than mine and it affected some in his household as I recall. .

2 hours ago, Origami said:

We have at least one more, too, that had a pretty serious run in. More serious than mine and it affected some in his household as I recall. .

I remember the Steve pouring boiling water over them and creating an essential oil diffuser but with palytoxin instead of lavender.

Mine was in my eyes and only required an ER visit. 

https://wamas.org/forums/topic/48670-steve-outlaw-is-not-the-only-one-now

Here's one of several palytoxin threads here.

These Palys were, at one time, somewhat common here in DC. People even saw them in some of the local shops back then. Mine came in on some rock that I inherited from the Membership Director that held the position before me many years ago. I had no idea that they could pack the punch they did

I can say from seeing it in another that I doubt that there is any sort of tolerance built up.  I have been hit twice with it, once severe enough to knock me out over night (high fever, chills, aches, pains, etc. but no hospitalization) and the second time just discomfort but I attribute it to realizing faster that my hands were exposed to palytoxin and taking immediate measures to wash it off as best as I could.  A co-worker, however, was hospitalized his second time being exposed but not the first.

Reminds me of something Riddick would know about.