Marine Pure Blocks Vs Spheres

epleeds

Thinking of adding some to my sump. Does it matter if I use the block vs spheres. 

never used this product before. Looking for advice on this. 

also how much do I need. Running 300 total volume. 

Edited by epleeds

I have the spheres and I’m not a fan.  They get very crumbly. Detritus collects under them so I need to move them around or blow around them frequently.  I think the blocks would do better. 

Some people also say either product leaches aluminum, or other metals..... I think BRS tested them but don’t remember the results.  

I used one large block for 300 gallon water volume...it was okay...it also deteriorated over time; every time you move it some of it flakes off...

I switched to Pond Matrix in media bags, which I like very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, epleeds said:

Thinking of adding some to my sump. Does it matter if I use the block vs spheres. 

never used this product before. Looking for advice on this. 

also how much do I need. Running 300 total volume. 

Hey Eric, I've had in two large blocks for three years. I choose blocks over spheres because detritus could easily collect between spheres versus a large block.  I have them stacked in my 100 gallon rubbermaid.  I still have an mp40 to move water in the sump, and move the blocks about once a month. My other option to increase biofiltration was to put in more liverock.  Figured that would get even more detritus.  As others mentioned you need to handle them gently. They will crumble easily since they are so porous.  Mine are still intact though. 

I am currently using spheres in my sump.  I will move them around and vacuum under them during water changes to get detritus - so that is not an issue for me.  I had researched and was worried the blocks (but not spheres?) could leach aluminum and there were more people complaining of the blocks crumbling than the spheres.

I do water changes and suction from a couple of chambers in the sump weekly for last 10 months and the spheres are still intact/strong and not showing any sign of deteriorating.  

That's my 2 cents and about all its worth.

Greg

I have used them for years. Remember they are made of ceramic. If placed in a strong water flow they will erode . Thus like fine sand paper can affect your in sump pumps impellers. Like M1 pumps.

Here’s one of my three year old blocks. I do move them around and handle them carefully trying not to scrape them. I do have a lot of flow in the sump but not directly on the blocks. I’m using three blocks in about 350 total volume (probably overkill).

f5ead43225f0cfc4e757ff321a02adcd.jpg

Appreciate all the responses. I think I have a good place to put the blocks where they don’t get high flow but the water passes by them. 

if it's not too late - I had one for a while, not a fan.  Mine also deteriorated over time.  I also had an aluminum problem, though i don't know that Marinepure was the source.   They adamantly say it's not.  I've seen enough anecdotal experience to be doubtful (lots of good threads on this on R2R)

And most importantly, IMO, the marine pure nitrified just fine (as it should), but did not denitrify.   I switched to Seachem matrix and after about a month they started nitrifying and denitrifying extremely well.  I generally prefer Matrix over marine pure.  

On 10/11/2020 at 9:27 PM, KingOfAll_Tyrants said:

if it's not too late - I had one for a while, not a fan.  Mine also deteriorated over time.  I also had an aluminum problem, though i don't know that Marinepure was the source.   They adamantly say it's not.  I've seen enough anecdotal experience to be doubtful (lots of good threads on this on R2R)

And most importantly, IMO, the marine pure nitrified just fine (as it should), but did not denitrify.   I switched to Seachem matrix and after about a month they started nitrifying and denitrifying extremely well.  I generally prefer Matrix over marine pure.  

I just put up a new tank last month. I now use Tropic Marin salt rather that IORC. I moved my bio blocks over and my latest ICP show very high Tin, everything else is within spec. I believe this might have to do with the Bio-Blocks also, but I cannot be 100%

Otherwise, i think they helped keep my tank stable when i switched everything over from the old tank.