Shortening fittings to save space???

Lowefx

Has anyone trimmed their PVC elbows to save space? If so, I believe 1/2-2/3" would be enough contact surface to make a great seal with primer & glue, but id like experienced knowledge. . Discuss...

Are these drain pipes or return?  Drain is easy since there isn't any pressure.  Return pipes may be different.  Part of it will also depend on the kind of pump you have and pressure it can generate.

Are these drain pipes or return?  Drain is easy since there isn't any pressure.  Return pipes may be different.  Part of it will also depend on the kind of pump you have and pressure it can generate.
They are drain lines. But I think I found another way to route it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For drains, since there's no pressure, you basically just need enough glue to keep them together.  Other than gravity and bumping into them, there isn't much to cause them to come apart.worry about.   

Be careful though because PVC fittings have tapered sockets.  If you cut too much of the fitting away, the interior diameter may be too small to fit the pipe into.  Try it and you'll see what I mean.  I have experience with this...

You might be able to get around this by also beveling the edge of the pipe so that you can wedge the pipe into the socket.

Edited by Jon Lazar

I've done it at various times in the distant past, had no problems. Most fittings have a sort of ring around the inside where the end of the inserted pipe is ideally supposed to rest - leave at least a half an inch on the outer side of that to glue the pipe, and don't skimp on the glue at all since there's only going to be a narrow area to secure the pieces together.

• 1 month later...

@Lowefx

I know this is an older post but I have cut approx .25"-1/3" off all sides of 2 tees and about the same off of 2 sides of an elbow. With generous but not excessive application of primer and cement and making sure the joint is held together super tight for a minute I've had zero leaks