Playing referee for neighboring SPS encrusting on live rock

WheresTheReef

I know this is a good problem to have as it shows that the tank is headed in the right direction. Would like to know what others do to avoid SPS killing each other as they encrust towards each other. Here are a couple of examples. I would appreciate your experience and suggestions.

large.1583978273_IMG_20200708_2242342.jpg.0b658ad87b23a0b6a500b5b718442232.jpglarge.883299959_IMG_20200708_2243152.jpg.ef8e42ccce1f91379d8cfd13e7e4a179.jpg

54 minutes ago, epleeds said:

There is nothing you can do. The only thing is not put them so close together. 

one will win :) 

The purple slimmer and pink tip started around 8-10” apart. Not sure I can separate them anymore. I guess I need a bigger tank or my personal ocean. :)

They will continue to grow. One always beats the other. Normally they will start growing in the opposite direction but one will always win over the other. 

I use a file to remove remnants of coral encrusted to rocks when I've removed a colony to allow other corals to grow. You could file down the encrusted part.  With them so close together it will be needed to be done pretty frequently. Also, i usually need to chip off some of the rock and could lose some rock if you did it often.  

Ime acropora won’t kill each other but one will just slowly win over space from the other if it’s more aggressive.  Only time one should die from being touched is if it’s not really healthy or if growth is shut down.  That’s why I didn’t worry much about placing some colonies close to each other in my tank. 

16 hours ago, BtmDweller said:

I use a file to remove remnants of coral encrusted to rocks when I've removed a colony to allow other corals to grow. You could file down the encrusted part.  With them so close together it will be needed to be done pretty frequently. Also, i usually need to chip off some of the rock and could lose some rock if you did it often.  

Thanks for your suggestions. I’ve used bone cutters while siphoning into a filter sock to grind/chip off remnants of removed acros. This isn’t something I’d like to do too often if I can help it.

5 hours ago, GraffitiSpotCorals said:

Ime acropora won’t kill each other but one will just slowly win over space from the other if it’s more aggressive.  Only time one should die from being touched is if it’s not really healthy or if growth is shut down.  That’s why I didn’t worry much about placing some colonies close to each other in my tank. 

Yea I’ve heard both cases from other tanks. Some are fine, while others have corals STN from being stressed over time. I’ve seen densely packed tanks and couldn’t imagine having to keep managing coral growth at that level.

Put a piece of underwater epoxy between them, once they encrust it break it off and start the process all over.  You protect them from each other and now have a frag to sell:)

Darren