Overflows Care of the Container Store

squiddly

The husband didn't like the way he had set up the overflows in my tank, so he ran off to the Container Store and came home with various clear acrylic pieces of just about everything. From two of them, he made these overflows. I'm hoping they are easy to clean.

Tried to add the picture, but the board still doesn't like me. Picture here:

http://web.mac.com/mikkibarry/iWeb/Reefer%...k%20Photos.html

click on the "new overflows" Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm really not seeing how those are suposed to work

Take a look at the upper right and upper left hand corners of the tank.

med_gallery_1002_72_13506.jpg

Ah ok, I'm looking for a way to make my own adjustable H.O.B or H.O.T. over flow boxes that don't require any drilling.

Jason,

If you have not filled your tank yet I would highly reccomend drilling it. HOB overflows are much more likely to fail. There are several of us in the club including myself who can drill it for you.

Jason,

If you have not filled your tank yet I would highly reccomend drilling it. HOB overflows are much more likely to fail. There are several of us in the club including myself who can drill it for you.

Could it be partially drained then filled, I would highly appreciate it if you'd drill it I'm sure I could give you something for your trouble.... I would like to not have that huge bulky over flow boxes

Could it be partially drained then filled, I would highly appreciate it if you'd drill it I'm sure I could give you something for your trouble.... I would like to not have that huge bulky over flow boxes

It can be done but there is a much higher risk of cracking when there is water in the tank so you will have to drain it pretty far down. If you want to take the chance PM me and I'll do it.

Do you have any pics of what this will look like? I have 55 gallons of water and about 100 lbs of live rock to remove from the system to make something like that work

If you have 100lbs of liverock in just a 55 gallon, you definitly have waaaaaay less than 55 gallons of water you would have to drain out. Just get a couple of those large rubbermaid tubs and drain the water out and put it back in afterwards. My new 180 is drilled and I love it. Wished I hadn't been so hesitant about getting my old 125 drilled.

You might be surprised to learn that most 55g tanks hold a lot less than even w/o LR, sand or decorations. I think they are actually closer to 50g.

You might be surprised to learn that most 55g tanks hold a lot less than even w/o LR, sand or decorations. I think they are actually closer to 50g.

I think I'll stick with a 1200 GPH over flow box... I can't see drilling a 55 gallon tank, and how would i adjust the flow amount...?

I think I'll stick with a 1200 GPH over flow box... I can't see drilling a 55 gallon tank, and how would i adjust the flow amount...?

well drilling a 55 is not difficult, and controlling the flow is easy, dont push more through the drilled overflows than they can take. about 600gph per 1" hole is a good quiet rule o thumb

Can any one tell me the advantage to drilling a tank over an over flow box, as well as what the heck keeps your sump from flooding?

This is what i was thinking of buying http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...mMakeTrack=true

Edited by jason the filter freak

Guest BrentRowley

Can any one tell me the advantage to drilling a tank over an over flow box, as well as what the heck keeps your sump from flooding?

This is what i was thinking of buying http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...mMakeTrack=true

If you lose your siphon on the overflow box water will stop draining from it to your sump. Why does that make such a big deal......because your pump down in the sump will keep pumping until it runs out of water. It will overfill your tank and flood onto the ground. When your tank is drilled it does not need a siphon. It just drains back down into the sump when it is full enough. Water will take the path of least resistance which will be down the sides of your tank and onto your carpet if your overflow box stops working.

Ok makes sense, how in the world would you lose siphon to an overflow box? I suppose it's possible, how do I adjust flow on a drilled tank? And if i have a drilled tank, i can see just the oppsite happening... the power cuts and my return pump fails... the tank keeps draining but the pump isn't putting water back in my tank and my sump overflows right? :why:

Ok makes sense, how in the world would you lose siphon to an overflow box? I suppose it's possible, how do I adjust flow on a drilled tank? And if i have a drilled tank, i can see just the oppsite happening... the power cuts and my return pump fails... the tank keeps draining but the pump isn't putting water back in my tank and my sump overflows right? :why:

Can you say trapped bubbles? Even with an air pump they can fail.

You can adjust the flow by putting a valve to reduce it on the output of the pump.

If the power fails the water drains into your sump, which you never fill more than the tank and sump can hold. You will need to mark a "MAX Water" line once you start you pumps up to determine your high mark.

Drilling is the best way to go IMO. I have lost power and a siphon on a hang on overflow and it aint pretty. They are bulk and ugly IMO. Overflows lose siphon all the time buddy its just a matter of time. I say drain it, drill two 1 inch bulkheads (one on each side) and put a valve on your pump and be done with it.

Jason,

After talking to Riley last night I looked at a Perfecto 55G in the store and the sticker says all sides on the 55 are tempered not just the bottom. Make sure you check yours before drilling.

Jason has my old 55g and the sticker on the bottom says it is tempered but nothing about the sides so i think its safe

Jason has my old 55g and the sticker on the bottom says it is tempered but nothing about the sides so i think its safe

I will be purchasing the bits shortly, so we shall see