I’m interested in a jellyfish aquarium

John-Solo

Hello WAMAS any of you have experience with Jellyfish setups? Im thinking of doing one but not sure if I’d get a prefabricated set up or do something myself. Probably wouldn’t be lager then 20 gal do to the space I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran two small ones from Jellyfish Art. Past tense as my wife had used one of my water change buckets for a floor cleaning solution. Within hours, my Jellies had basically dissolved. Great tank, though. It would be cool to build your own kriesel, but there are a lot of commercial tanks that are specifically designed for Jellies that are worth looking at.

7 hours ago, Origami said:

I ran two small ones from Jellyfish Art. Past tense as my wife had used one of my water change buckets for a floor cleaning solution. Within hours, my Jellies had basically dissolved. Great tank, though. It would be cool to build your own kriesel, but there are a lot of commercial tanks that are specifically designed for Jellies that are worth looking at.

Yikes!

Yikes is right! Bummer to hear about that. What would you say the overall care and maintenance is for them? Did you decide to rebuild after the epic bucket destruction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, John-Solo said:

Yikes is right! Bummer to hear about that. What would you say the overall care and maintenance is for them? Did you decide to rebuild after the epic bucket destruction?

I've been wanting to for the better part of 2 years now. Every time the weather starts to warm up from winter, I begin to think about ordering another pack of starter moon jellies.

10 hours ago, treesprite said:

Yikes!

Yes, indeed. One tank was in my daughter's room; the other was in or piano room. A few hours after changing water in both, I noticed that my daughter's tank looked empty. Upon closer approach, I saw a few fragments of stuff, mostly on the bottom but nothing recognizable that looked like a jelly. I went to the living room and saw pretty much the same. That's when I realized it must have come about as a result of the 50% water change. Knowing that my wife had recently washed the kitchen tile floors using a solution of sodium percarbonate (aka solid hydrogen peroxide - basically a pure form of oxyclean) - something that I started doing a few years back - I asked her what bucket she used. When she told me that she just grabbed the first bucket that she saw in my fish room, part of me was stunned, another part upset, and yet another part just resigned to the fact that I hadn't thought enough to clean the bucket out before the water change. (After all, it was a bucket that I reserved for jelly tank water changes only!) Lesson learned. Never assume that you were the last person to handle your water change equipment - even if you store it in "your" room. 

Yes, indeed. One tank was in my daughter's room; the other was in or piano room. A few hours after changing water in both, I noticed that my daughter's tank looked empty. Upon closer approach, I saw a few fragments of stuff, mostly on the bottom but nothing recognizable that looked like a jelly. I went to the living room and saw pretty much the same. That's when I realized it must have come about as a result of the 50% water change. Knowing that my wife had recently washed the kitchen tile floors using a solution of sodium percarbonate (aka solid hydrogen peroxide - basically a pure form of oxyclean) - something that I started doing a few years back - I asked her what bucket she used. When she told me that she just grabbed the first bucket that she saw in my fish room, part of me was stunned, another part upset, and yet another part just resigned to the fact that I hadn't thought enough to clean the bucket out before the water change. (After all, it was a bucket that I reserved for jelly tank water changes only!) Lesson learned. Never assume that you were the last person to handle your water change equipment - even if you store it in "your" room. 

Yikes! I have dedicated buckets for beer and saltwater things. Everybody knows to ask if they want to use them for anything else, and I label them as well. Just bought a dedicated mixing station to help!

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Yikes! I have dedicated buckets for beer and saltwater things. Everybody knows to ask if they want to use them for anything else, and I label them as well. Just bought a dedicated mixing station to help!

I'm going to get a locker and a padlock. And a sign: "If it's in my fishroom, it's off limits." Ha! 

No, I think that we both learned something from that incident.