Perstaltic Pump

tygger

The kangaroos are good pumps the only drawback is that they are NOT controllable... it has to be always on...

That's why I don't use em.

The pumps from innovative aquatics are basically the same thing, but modded (if I knew how I would do it myself) so they can be "controlled"

Dave

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, if I don't get the Controller Interface (a/c adapter), how does the Nautilis pump normally get it's power?

It sounds like if I get the CI, I'll have 2 power cords for the 1 pump. Is that right?

The nautilis will come with it's own plug.

The CI adds a 2nd plug that would be required to "control" it.

Here is a pic of the back of mine:

gallery_589_15_61277.jpg

Dave

Dave, you explained it better than the Innovative! lol.

I haven't heard back from Innovative yet on this, but do you know if this pump come with all the tubing I need? It doesn't say how much length is provided.

And is the regular 300mL size good or should I request the smaller 85mL/hr size?

I'm pretty sure I have the bigger (300ml) size...

You might need some additional tubing depending on how far your run is, but I doubt it... it should come with all you need.

Dave

I have the nautlis 2...

2 component is like 2 part additions (C-blance, and other make stuff like this) one part adds alkalinity the other part calcium and you want to add them balanced in small amounts.

Dave - what type of containers are you keeping your Alk & CA solutions in (Aquadosers/home made plastic container, etc.) that you are using with the Nautilis II?

I'm not doing 2 part dosing anymore...

At the time I was I was mixing RO/DI water with homemade alk component (baking soda & RO/DI) and homemade calcium component (turbo calcium & RO/DI)... I was just using a couple of small buckets

Dave

I'm not doing 2 part dosing anymore...

Dave

Moved to the dark, scary side - the calcium reactor :-)

No currently is for my kalk reactor... I do want a 2nd one for my calcium reactor though...

Dave

Going a bit off topic....

So should I dose at night only or 24/7???

I got the 300mL hosing. If I dose 24/7, would I still dose at approx. 158mL/hr?

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!

THe pump should be arriving tomorrow.

:cheers:

I dose only at night.... If I did it during the day it would drive the pH in the tank too high is my guess...

Hard to say exactly how much you will be dosing because there are many factors... The best thing to do is to perform a little test when you get the pump.

Dave

No...just use it however is better for you (for me a shorter draw and longer out worked better.

Dave

The tubing that came with my High Volume set is 85ml/hr. If I set the pump to 100ml/hr, does the diameter of the tubing really matter? I would think that the only thing that matters is the tubing wrapped around the rollers.

What should I do to keep the tubing a couple inches from the bottom in the kalk reservoir? Its very flimsy and if I just dropped it in the reserv., it curls up.

Guest fishwish

When this one dies, I'll probably buy a kangaroo 324. I've seen reconditioned

units pretty cheap several times.

tim

Check eBay for reconditioned ones...$50 -$150. (Guess you can tell I shop on eBay a lot! :rollface: )

Yes the diameter of the tubing does matter, a bigger diameter tubing will be able to pull more water... trust me...

As for how to keep it out of the slurry on the bottom...I took a small piece of pvc pipe and lightly rubberbanded the intake tube to it...

Dave

Thx fishwish. But I just bought the Nautilis one for $170. :)

Dave,

It's still not making sense to me... The way I understand it is that the size of the input and output tubing is independent of the amount of volume dosed. The only thing that should matter is the flex tubing that is wrapped around the rollers which provides a constant volume regardless of the input/output tubing.

:why:

There is a limit to what I sadi (i.e. an 1" tubing is not going to work), but the fact that the tubing is fexible will mean that it can expand to hold greater volumes if it is sent it's way.

Dave

Dave,

I've been using this for a few days now and have been meaning to ask... when set a specific dosing rate, is it normal for peristaltic pumps to dose at the same "speed" (number of drops/sec) no matter what the dosage rate is set at? It looks like these pumps dose at one rate and is controlled by pausing the rotor for a specific amount of time depending on the set dosage rate.

Secondly, I don't remember hearing your make ANY noise. I can hear mine whine as the rotor turns... :why:

Chak,

Yes the rotor turns at a fixed rate, and the dosing rate is controlled by "pausing" it... thats the way they work... much more efficient for determing dosing rates (which is why they are used in the medical community) as compared to a variable speed rotor.

Mine makes a slight noise, and if you know what you are listening for you can hear it, but typically people hear the fans not the dosing pump.

Dave