Saltwater mixing & storing: What do you all use/recommend?

Steve G

I'm planning to set up a saltwater mixing station to go in a workroom behind the fish tank and wondering what to use and where to get it. I probably also want a reservoir for freshwater, which doesn't have to be as big. I'm thinking of a system of about 120 to 180 gallons display with ~55gal sump and a q-tank.

Thanks in advance.

-- Steve

If you can fit it, I would go with two 100 gallon ace roto mold containers.  That way you can hold enough water for an emergency if needed 

If you can fit it, I would go with two 100 gallon ace roto mold containers.  That way you can hold enough water for an emergency if needed 

What’s an ace roto mold?

100 gallons sounds like overkill, especially x2. I definitely don’t want to give up that much real estate in the fish room.

What do other people use?

Planning a 150g in wall project.

There are quite a few vertical options out there that can hold quite a bit of water.  If you think about a 180+sump+qt you might be getting close to 250 gallons+ of water so having 100 gallons ready to roll is not such a bad idea.

This one has a 23” footprint:

https://www.ntotank.com/100gallon-acerotomold-white-cone-bottom-tank-x9932277?gclid=CjwKCAiAmNbwBRBOEiwAqcwwpeeOaFrndOO61at67kYNZfP4UR0W4FHmOPkfhiVh7qeX5qRoYn6kURoCh_MQAvD_BwE

https://www.plastic-mart.com/product/6139/100-gallon-vertical-plastic-storage-tank-vt0100-23

https://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=TC2364IW

This would fit nicely into a 2’x4’ area for two tanks and the Ace Roto Mold ones can be put on stands with bottom drains as they have cone bottoms.  There are other tanks available from there for other sizes as well.  Ache trainer and Ace Roto Mold are two good brands.  Nalgene is another brand that makes good storage tanks.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks @davelin315 and @epleeds. Since I'm going with a 240 gallon display and probably 40 gallons of water in a 100 gallon sump, I'll probably need a 100g saltwater mixing tank after all. Looks like it will cost me around $150.

A couple of followup questions:

1. Will i need two of these, since I need a freshwater reservoir for topoffs and feeding the SW mixing tank, right?

2. How does the plumbing go? Do I plumb an inlet for the RO/DI to the freshwater reservoir with float valve, outlet to an autotopoff feeding the sump, and outlet to the SW mixing tank, with a pump and a ball valve in there somewhere? Is that it?