Seth's Next Reefkeeping Chapter

Hello everyone!  

So back with a passion to make this next tank my forever tank.

Currently working out the details of getting a new tank but wanted to reflect on the last 10 years of my reefkeeping journey with all the mistakes I have made as well as the successes I have had and wanted to share them with you.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So First some mistakes,

I think about 90% of my mistakes were user error on the tank.  Anytime a coral died it was because I was lazy and not keeping up with my testing or checking equipment.  Reflecting on this makes me realise that the simple steps are some of the most important.

Water changes:  over the past 5 tanks this is one thing that is vital to good coral growth.  The best results I ever had with a tank was with my 120g back in Colorado.  I religiously did water changes on that tank and I had amazing coral growth with that tank.  Those trace elements in saltwater are much more vital than we know.  Keeping the tank stable includes these trace elements not just the big 3, Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium.  So the goal with the next tank is to take a page from my friend Bradly Syphus out in Utah and make Saturday mornings my tank maintenance and fish tank zoning out time.

Butterfly fish:  So one thing with my last tank that I really made a mistake with was getting some butterfly fish.  I feel like the with caution reef safe designation is a little generous. In tanks the size that most people have, a butterfly fish will slowly kill corals off as they sample the polyps.  I observed this from all the varieties of butterflies I had.  So a butterfly fish will never have a spot in my reef going forward

Pump cleaning:  This is something that i have not done much in the past and it had taken its toll on a few tanks in the past.  I had my calcium reactor pump die on me and I never realised it was dead for about 2 weeks and at that point it was too late and caused a tank crash. This is one thing I want to do at least monthly is go through and check and clean my pumps. 

Testing:  These mistakes were 100% on me.  I would get lazy and not do testing for sometimes months at a time. This is a vital thing to do weekly so you can keep track of your tank and keep everything healthy.  Doing it on a regular basis will help catch things before they can cause problems.

And to cheer it up with some success,

Leopard Wrasses:  one thing people have always asked me was how I was able to have such good success with leopard wrasses.  At first I thought it was a lot of luck, but it is really how I introduce them to the tank.  I have found that keeping them in a tank by themselves for a few weeks allows them to build some dominance and helps them cope with the stress of travel whether it's from an online retailer or just the trip home from the fish store.  The key to the tank they stay in before your display is to have a tank with at least 2 inches of sand, well cycled with tons of pods, and nice hiding spots.  The pods are a major key to this, they are the buffer zone you have to help make sure the fish is eating frozen food.  More pods you have, the more time you have to get them transitioned to prepared food.  Once they are eating frozen, regularly for 2-3 days, then they can be introduced to the display.  From my experience, after about a month in the display eating a little frozen and having pellets on an auto feeder, I have always seen the leopards eating pellet food. The reason they are labeled as "Expert" fish is because you need to have the setup available  to give them the time to transition to prepared foods.  

Clams:  These have been something that I have always loved and all my successful tanks have had.  They are gorgeous creatures and also IMO a vital part of cleanup crew. They absorb many of the bad nutrients that we try to remove with water changes.  A must have in my reefs.  I am hoping I can get a squamosa back to the size of the 15" one I had in my 120g.

1 minute ago, hlem said:

welcome back buddy. So you're going to go with that 600g you told me about? :)

I wish I had room for a 600 :sad:    I am hashing out details for a 150g cube.

this is probably going to be a pretty slow build.  I want to do it right and take my time.  There are several things I wish I would have done differently with my 225g that I am going to do with this 150g.  Like having a proper sump.  I am currently also shopping around for the right sump to go under a 150g cube.    I am also planning on having a 10g tank plumbed into the tank under the tank for bringing in wrasses and letting them get used to the parameters.

YES! Looking good man, can’t wait to watch this grow out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So an update.  Ordered a sump and a skimmer from the black friday sale.   Went with the Trigger Systems Ruby 30 sump and a Skimz Monster 167 DC skimmer.  Hopefully I will get the base stand built this weekend so I can place the tank up on a stand.

I am going to make the stand 33" tall so it will just barely fit through a doorway. Still debating on how to skin the stand.

So I have been thinking about the stock list and here is what I have decided on so far:

Fish:

Macropharyngodon geoffroyi

Macropharyngodon kuiteri

Macropharyngodon choati

Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Macropharyngodon meleagris

Macropharyngodon moyeri

Gramma loreto

Nemateleotris helfrichi

Nemateleotris magnifica

Nemateleotris decora

Stonogobiops dracula x2

Anampses neoguinaicus

Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis

Acanthurus tristis

Cleaning Crew:

Tridacna squamosa - Aquacultured Blue

Tridacna squamosa x maxima - Aquacultured

Mespilia globulus x2

Tripneustes gratilla

Lysmata amboinensis x2

Lysmata debelius x2

Fromia indica x2

Trochus sp. x30

Nerita sp. x30

Nassarius sp. x30

Cerithium sp. x 80

Long Term Goals: 

Gramma dejongi

Macropharyngodon lapillus

Anampses femininus

14 hours ago, hlem said:

Do you have pictures or common names? I have no clue what those are without googling.. and I’m too lazy to copy and paste :)

Potters wrasse

Kutier leopard wrasse

Choat's leopard wrasse

Black leopard wrasse

Leopard wrasse

Moyer's leopard wrasse

Royal Gramma

Helfrichi firefish

Purple firefish

Orange firefish

Dracula gobies

China wrasse

Rhomboid fairy wrasse

Eblii mimic tang

2 hours ago, sethsolomon said:

Potters wrasse

Kutier leopard wrasse

Choat's leopard wrasse

Black leopard wrasse

Leopard wrasse

Moyer's leopard wrasse

Royal Gramma

Helfrichi firefish

Purple firefish

Orange firefish

Dracula gobies

China wrasse

Rhomboid fairy wrasse

Eblii mimic tang

Awesome. Looks like it’ll be a very cool tank. Go check out Supreme Reef. He has a nice display with lots of smaller fish like what you’re planning. 

4 minutes ago, hlem said:

Awesome. Looks like it’ll be a very cool tank. Go check out Supreme Reef. He has a nice display with lots of smaller fish like what you’re planning. 

I will check him out.

Yah thinking about stock lists, one thing I am doing new to this tank that I have not done in any other tank, I am not going to do any crabs.  I am going to stick to only snails, shrimp, conch, urchins, and clams for cleanup crew.

And I think I am going to do 3 part dosing instead of running a calcium reactor like I had on all my past tanks.  It's probably going to cost me more in the long run, but i really like that ability that you can change the dosing on the fly and it is much more configurable than a calcium reactor. 

2 hours ago, sethsolomon said:

And I think I am going to do 3 part dosing instead of running a calcium reactor like I had on all my past tanks.  It's probably going to cost me more in the long run, but i really like that ability that you can change the dosing on the fly and it is much more configurable than a calcium reactor. 

How is it more configurable than a calcium reactor? I've always believed it to be the other way around, but I've never used a reactor.

3 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

How is it more configurable than a calcium reactor? I've always believed it to be the other way around, but I've never used a reactor.

With a calcium reactor, the levels come in at the proportions that the media was generated in.  If you have corals that are making bases that are not in the ratios the same as the media, the levels can go out of balance.  With dosing pumps, you can adjust for those different requirements.

22 minutes ago, sethsolomon said:

With a calcium reactor, the levels come in at the proportions that the media was generated in.  If you have corals that are making bases that are not in the ratios the same as the media, the levels can go out of balance.  With dosing pumps, you can adjust for those different requirements.

But 2 part or 3 part is mixed up to a ratio, don't you have a baseline like that with your reactor media? 

2 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

But 2 part or 3 part is mixed up to a ratio, don't you have a baseline like that with your reactor media? 

the calcium reactor media melts to a specific ratio.  but depending on the coral in your tank, you could be using more or less of one mineral vs another.  so you have to manually adjust for that difference to bring it back into balance.  With dosing pumps, you just increase whatever nutrient your tank is using up more.   So with dosing pumps, you can adjust more to keep your levels more consistent.

EX:  Say the calcium reactor is melting  out at 8 parts calcium, 8 parts alk, and 0.5 parts magnesium  but your tank is using  5 parts calcium, 8 parts akl, and 4 parts magnesium, you will have to manually dose those other nutrients to keep it in balance.  vs the dosing pump route you can just set the pumps to dose those 5,8,4 parts the tank is using.   

11 minutes ago, VA Reefdog said:

That stocking list should be a very impressive tank.  Can't wait to see how all those wrasses look together.  

Always wanted most of those wrasses- should be beautiful.  

Yah the key will be when to introduce them.  The 10g tank under my 150g will be key to make sure they are very healthy before they go into the display.