Clowns fighting

Joshifer

I’ve never had this problem. My clowns always got along. I bought these together they was fine but lately ones really beating the other up bad. Then their fine swimming together. Then she randomly chases him around violently I had to put the lid on cus he jumped trying to get away from her. His fins are all nippedThe other is not nipped. I am afraid she’s going to kill him. He’s eating fine. His fins regenerate in days then she nips them off again. He hides under the rock I turned the lights off so she can’t see him. 

I don’t know do I rehome her or him it’s a matter of time before she kills him. She’s like really out for him. I don’t have another tank to seperate them. When the lights are off she seems to leave him alone. But I have a few coral so I can’t stay dark long. I never tried putting my hand in to see if she attacks my hand. But she’s a meanie. And it’s not when he comes to one side of the tank no she goes looking for him lol 

If they're very similar in size, the bigger one will most likely run the other one ragged. 

You're bound to see a little bullying unless they came paired up already, but it sounds to me like they didn't, and you should re-home one of them. 

It’s only a 5 gallon I’m in the process of getting a bigger tank. Their regular osc. The mean ones bigger than the beat up one. He even wiggles to show submission but she doesn’t seem to care. 

I’ll call the fish store and see if they’ll take the mean one lol. I think they’re closed today.

I just checked she’s at the top of the tank and he’s hiding under my hammer lights are off. 

54 minutes ago, maevepotter said:

5 gallon waaaaaay too small. Why did you even get clowns for that tank?

5 gallons isn't to small for a clown pair. I've got 22 gallons and I've never seen my fish go outside of a 5 gallon radius. I've kept clown pairs in 5 gallon tanks before as well, they rarely stray from "home base," in my case, anemones. 

3 hours ago, YHSublime said:

5 gallons isn't to small for a clown pair. I've got 22 gallons and I've never seen my fish go outside of a 5 gallon radius. I've kept clown pairs in 5 gallon tanks before as well, they rarely stray from "home base," in my case, anemones. 

lol ya the mean one stays on top corner at the mag float. The smaller one stays on the opposite side trying to host the frogs and hammers getting used to they’re sting. Then she sees him and chases him. 

If you need to, try separating the two by dividing the tank with a piece of egg crate for a week or two. It'll make for small space for the two, but will allow time for the pair to coexist and for the bullied one to recover.

Another thing you can do, if this doesn't work out, is to add rockwork that blocks sight lines and creates cavities/tunnels where the less dominant one can hide. Right now, the dominant one is probably being very territorial and, because you've probably got limited rock structure in there, is aggressively defending the only available territory. Creating options and hiding spaces may help tame the situation until the two get used to each other.