Red Sea ReefLED 50

Still_human

15 minutes ago, sethsolomon said:

The second picture no.   that's about 500-600 1/2 watt LED's  it won't have the penetration needed IMO.   The first one may have enough light output but that is a lot of green light that is really a waste of power since corals really dont use much if any green light.

Awesome, thanks so much! I really should just stick with the Red Sea LED fixtures, but I keep coming across other things that catch my attention, and especially when they’re less money they really seem enticing. Those 90’s tho......that’s a lotta money:/

1 minute ago, Still_human said:

Awesome, thanks so much! I really should just stick with the Red Sea LED fixtures, but I keep coming across other things that catch my attention, and especially when they’re less money they really seem enticing. Those 90’s tho......that’s a lotta money:/

IMO i think you should wait and save up a bit more so you can get the lights you think you need.  I would not settle.  You are just going to do the same thing you did with the other 2 lights you bought.  Both of the lights you have already will grow coral.  Unfortunately it's not the color you like but they are good enough to keep coral.   I unfortunately don't know much about the RED Sea LEDs and they have not really proven themselves in the industry for LED's yet.  I think you should save up some money and get some Hydra 32's.  I have seen 8-9 tanks running them long term and they are fantastic.  and you can customize them for the color look you want.

5 hours ago, sethsolomon said:

IMO i think you should wait and save up a bit more so you can get the lights you think you need.  I would not settle.  You are just going to do the same thing you did with the other 2 lights you bought.  Both of the lights you have already will grow coral.  Unfortunately it's not the color you like but they are good enough to keep coral.   I unfortunately don't know much about the RED Sea LEDs and they have not really proven themselves in the industry for LED's yet.  I think you should save up some money and get some Hydra 32's.  I have seen 8-9 tanks running them long term and they are fantastic.  and you can customize them for the color look you want.

U don’t think the red seas are all they’re cracked up to be? I’ve been hearing nothing but very good things about them

I’ve just been reading that everyone has problems with them. They’re apparently great lights, but have to be taken apart to be fixed. The biggest part though is that I just can’t afford over $700 for them.

So the main reason I am super skeptical about Red Sea lights is every light they come out with is dramatically different from the last. Vs companies like Ecotech and AI, they incrementally make changes and fixes based on user feedback. Not to mention Red Sea has a poor rep with their LEDs. The model before this had LEDs burning out about once a month.  They had a really bad reputation. That's why they were shipping with AI hydras for good 2 years while they developed some thing new.  But just looking at R2R, there is only  5 build threads on that site using those lights. And all those build threads are extremely new with barely any coral in them.

The TLDR of that: Red Sea does not have a good track record with lights.  Use something that is proven and has a good track record.

The 2 lights you have now will grow coral just fine.  You can take your time and wait to see how the other people's tanks do with these lights. If you see good results over a 6 month period, then pick some up.  You could probably even get them significantly discounted by buying them used.  Early adoption of a new thing in reefkeeping almost never pays off. New products almost always have issues when first released.  

I have been extremely pleased with the Red Sea lights so far.. I have had just about every light on the market haha..

I would probably put them just behind AI and EcoTech as far as higher end lighting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)
56 minutes ago, sethsolomon said:

So the main reason I am super skeptical about Red Sea lights is every light they come out with is dramatically different from the last. Vs companies like Ecotech and AI, they incrementally make changes and fixes based on user feedback. Not to mention Red Sea has a poor rep with their LEDs. The model before this had LEDs burning out about once a month.  They had a really bad reputation. That's why they were shipping with AI hydras for good 2 years while they developed some thing new.  But just looking at R2R, there is only  5 build threads on that site using those lights. And all those build threads are extremely new with barely any coral in them.

The TLDR of that: Red Sea does not have a good track record with lights.  Use something that is proven and has a good track record.

The 2 lights you have now will grow coral just fine.  You can take your time and wait to see how the other people's tanks do with these lights. If you see good results over a 6 month period, then pick some up.  You could probably even get them significantly discounted by buying them used.  Early adoption of a new thing in reefkeeping almost never pays off. New products almost always have issues when first released.  

Ah, I didn’t know they were new like that. Yeah, I try to never get electronics when they first come out, I thought the Red Sea LED 50/90 had been out for awhile. I actually just(since my last message)bought a new used 50, cause it was apparently a great deal. I say new used cause they claimed they just got it in December but have had upgrade tanks and lights for it, so if that’s the case it’s still sorta new...ish, but I have to say the box looks immaculate, so I would imagine it couldn’t have been sitting around anywhere for very long...I don’t even keep boxes more than a couple weeks, maybe a month or so. I got the fixture and the mounting arm for $185shipped, so I couldn’t pass that up. Average used prices I’m seeing is $215 for just the fixture, generally before shipping, and then $80ish for the arm mount. I’ll get a new one for the 2nd, that way I can be sure the used one is working upto par(pun intended).

Edited by Still_human

1 hour ago, Still_human said:

Ah, I didn’t know they were new like that. Yeah, I try to never get electronics when they first come out, I thought the Red Sea LED 50/90 had been out for awhile. I actually just(since my last message)bought a new used 50, cause it was apparently a great deal. I say new used cause they claimed they just got it in December but have had upgrade tanks and lights for it, so if that’s the case it’s still sorta new...ish, but I have to say the box looks immaculate, so I would imagine it couldn’t have been sitting around anywhere for very long...I don’t even keep boxes more than a couple weeks, maybe a month or so. I got the fixture and the mounting arm for $185shipped, so I couldn’t pass that up. Average used prices I’m seeing is $215 for just the fixture, generally before shipping, and then $80ish for the arm mount. I’ll get a new one for the 2nd, that way I can be sure the used one is working upto par(pun intended).

That's a good price!  $80 for an arm mount? WTH...  New they are $40  Link   well give them a shot and see how they go.

(edited)
On 1/29/2020 at 8:13 PM, sethsolomon said:

That's a good price!  $80 for an arm mount? WTH...  New they are $40  Link   well give them a shot and see how they go.

Oh cool, thanks! Im gonna need to get another one, so that’s a huge help! And yeah, the average price I’m seeing for just an arm mount is like $65-$70, and can be upto $80+! 

Edited by Still_human

Well, iv got the fixture set up, so half my tank looks great. I’m thinking I’ll just leave the big LED fixture up too, turn it down, and use THAT as a supplemental. That way I have a huge control over the visual range, and i have potentially enough light to ignite the corals on fire!