Orphek LED strips?

Still_human

I was just recommended that I try an orphek strip instead of a reef brite, because reefbrite is problematic, and orphek is better/looks better in general. I’m hoping to get some input from anyone who has experience with both, or even just experience with orphek, so I can hear how they compare, or just how good orpheks are, in general. Because of the potential reefbrite dangers, and orphek being much less expensive, I’m definitely leaning towards orphek, but I haven’t heard any 1st hand input yet, so if you can help me out, that’d be great! Second hand input is perfectly welcome too! Or third, or...ANY input is welcome!

I currently run a Reefbrite tech on the backside of my ATI light and an Orphek OR2 Blue Plus on the front. I have had no issues with the Reefbrite and like the pop it provided when I ran it solo before the Orphek. That said it is a tech not an XHO, so less wattage and thus probably a safer option of two problem wise. Now when I added the Orphek my tank really started to pop. The Orphek bar is definitely well made. the power supply does get warm, but is mountable which I like. Many might not like the spectrum it provides since it is not a specific 420-440 range like the Reefbrite, but I personally do like the range the Orphek provides when added to my T5s.

(edited)

Awesome! So glad to hear from someone who has 1st hand with both kinds of lights! So which seem to be better as far as how things look/pop? I’m glad to hear u haven’t had any problems with the reefbrite.

Edited by Still_human

On 10/18/2019 at 8:40 AM, wildcrazyjoker81 said:

I currently run a Reefbrite tech on the backside of my ATI light and an Orphek OR2 Blue Plus on the front. I have had no issues with the Reefbrite and like the pop it provided when I ran it solo before the Orphek. That said it is a tech not an XHO, so less wattage and thus probably a safer option of two problem wise. Now when I added the Orphek my tank really started to pop. The Orphek bar is definitely well made. the power supply does get warm, but is mountable which I like. Many might not like the spectrum it provides since it is not a specific 420-440 range like the Reefbrite, but I personally do like the range the Orphek provides when added to my T5s.

I just realized that since i was directly responding to your response, I should’ve quoted you, so you got a notification. It’s too late to edit the original response now, so ...... *NOTIFICATION*

3 hours ago, Still_human said:

I just realized that since i was directly responding to your response, I should’ve quoted you, so you got a notification. It’s too late to edit the original response now, so ...... *NOTIFICATION*

No worries. I personally like the pop of the Orphek a bit more as it is just not blue light and has some violet/uv too. Also if you go the Orphek route you can 100% customize your layout and don't have to stick with their stock layouts. That all said Reefbrite is tried and true, just costly for the XHO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 3:13 PM, wildcrazyjoker81 said:

No worries. I personally like the pop of the Orphek a bit more as it is just not blue light and has some violet/uv too. Also if you go the Orphek route you can 100% customize your layout and don't have to stick with their stock layouts. That all said Reefbrite is tried and true, just costly for the XHO.

Thank you so much for the input, it’s been extremely helpful!

2 hours ago, Leishman said:

Love my orphek light bar. Adds a nice pop to my t-5s. Well built and easy to mount. I think I’ll be adding another and mounting them to the ATI unit. 

Do you use the power supply it came with? If so, have you ever had any issues at all? I’ve heard that it’s the Chinese power supplies that orphek, reefbrite, and similar strips come with, that can be the problematic aspect at times, and apparently even potentially dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got four or2 bars to go along side my two radiums bulbs and two of the fixtures came flickering on and off. They replaced them along with a daylight strip that was way to bright on the ends of it.  I hope they hold up over time and don’t start flickering again. They are built like a tank and really nice looking but I am sad that such a simple light would have simple issues like flickering. I saw a number of people had the issue with some of the fixtures as well. 

Maybe it’s not a big issue but I figured I would post Incase others had the same issue or wanted to know.