Keeping large Angelfish in reef tank with softie

Myst3ry_sea

Anyone keep Angel with their shroom and zoas? Please share your set up with large Angelfish here . I’m been dying to get an Angelfish, but always reconsider because I hate to loose my zoas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put an Imperator into my old reef in the hopes that he would eat the few zoanthids that were in there.  He only ended up eating LPS corals, though.

I also had a bonded pair of Regal Angels (one blue belly, one yellow belly) and they never touched anything.  That said, I also had no softies other than a few zoanthids...

You're going to get a lot of variance on this. I've never been lucky with fish that are even "with caution."

If you're not OK with the possibility of your zoas being a snack, simply don't get an Angelfish! Or go with a reef safe option like Epleeds mentioned. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at purchasing two angels from Poma Labs. They're captive bred angels raised on prepared foods. I've been getting pictures from then of the two species, and they look amazing. These guys are known for their customer service, care, and follow up with you. They've got customers with their angels in reef tanks and haven't had problems. I highly recommend them!!! 

My Bellus trio don't mess anything in the system.  The Regal decimated all of my zoas and clams.  It has never bothered any of my LPS, SPS or leathers 

I have recently decided that my love for fish is beginning to outweigh my desire to keep "designer" corals...

I am leaning toward making my tank full of leathers and basic shrooms.. just so I can have some of the non reef safe fish

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a goldflake, emperor, regal, and queen in main display with a ton of torch, hammer, frogspawn. Sps, gorgonian, Duncan's,. Zoas are slowly disappearing lol

I have a juvenile blueface in training in my 100 gallon frag tank full of sps zoas and lps. Key word in training so he's my last angel that will go in the display.

I have a goldflake, emperor, regal, and queen in main display with a ton of torch, hammer, frogspawn. Sps, gorgonian, Duncan's,. Zoas are slowly disappearing lol
I have a juvenile blueface in training in my 100 gallon frag tank full of sps zoas and lps. Key word in training so he's my last angel that will go in the display.
So do they leave the euphyllia alone? Gorgonians are my favorites...if I could get by with them not getting eat and some euphyllia and leathers.. I think I could handle it haha... then a frag tank for the other stuff

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They dont touch anything in my tank. Just slowly picked at my zoas

Thanks for all the input you guys. I decided to go with a female Japanese Swallow tail instead of the one that I've dreaming to own (Regal, Emperor or Queen). At the end, I still love the sight of my zoas garden :)

15 hours ago, TrueTricia said:

I'm looking at purchasing two angels from Poma Labs. They're captive bred angels raised on prepared foods. I've been getting pictures from then of the two species, and they look amazing. These guys are known for their customer service, care, and follow up with you. They've got customers with their angels in reef tanks and haven't had problems. I highly recommend them!!! 

I've look at their website and amazed with the collection of captive bred Angels they have. When you get them in can you create a follow up post, I'm curious to see how they'll do in a reef tank since they are captive-bred :)

It'll be a few months before I order my Singapore and Blueline angel from them.  I want to make sure my tank is problem free and I've got other thriving fish before I spend $200+ on the blueline.  If you google them on YouTube, you can see some videos of their angels in reef tanks!  

But yes, I'll be posting for sure once I get mine!