Petco coupon

madweazl

Have you had good results with Instant Ocean? I used it for a little while and my corals never really popped. I switched to Brightwell neon marine everything seems to be much happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, John-Solo said:

Have you had good results with Instant Ocean? I used it for a little while and my corals never really popped. I switched to Brightwell neon marine everything seems to be much happier.

BRSTV did a great video on salt mixes.  https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/best-of-2019-salt-mix/  IO isn't the greatest, but it's also not terrible.  My tank is just getting set-up and doesn't have coral yet, so it's perfect for me.  It's also a great salt mix for QT tanks!  No need to use the more expensive Brightwell for QT setups.  All depends.  

So you've liked Brightwell?  I'm looking at TropicMarin salt for the long-term.

1 hour ago, madweazl said:

Petco has a $30 coupon (save30) for purchases of $100+; that gets 200g boxes of Instant Ocean down to $40 shipped if you buy two. 

Any idea how long it's good for?  That's a great deal.... I just feel bad having a bunch delivered to my house for my neighbors to bring in while I'm gone for the next two weeks.  

BRSTV did a great video on salt mixes.  https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/best-of-2019-salt-mix/  IO isn't the greatest, but it's also not terrible.  My tank is just getting set-up and doesn't have coral yet, so it's perfect for me.  It's also a great salt mix for QT tanks!  No need to use the more expensive Brightwell for QT setups.  All depends.  

So you've liked Brightwell?  I'm looking at TropicMarin salt for the long-term.

Iv had good results with Brightwell. I’m only running a 29gal and 14gal biocube bi-weekly WC so the cost isn’t to crazy.

My two cents (after using Instant Ocean for 20+ years), you arent going to find much better. Some of the most well respected "pros" in the hobby and industry use Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals. The likelihood of salt making any difference in the overall health and growth of your corals is slim to none. With that said, I just ordered a box of Tropic Marin Pro for giggles. I only tried it because I couldnt find Instant Ocean on sale; less then a week later, it was naturally. On the plus side, it mixed up to 7.7 dKh, 390 calcium, and 1365 magnesium which was almost identical to my tank this week (calcium of 385 and magnesium was 1380 but well inside margin of error for the test kits).

Coupon expires tomorrow (Sept 17th). 

Edited by madweazl

4 minutes ago, madweazl said:

My two cents (after using Instant Ocean for 20+ years), you arent going to find much better. Some of the most well respected "pros" in the hobby and industry use Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals. The likelihood of salt making any difference in the overall health and growth of your corals is slim to none. With that said, I just ordered a box of Tropic Marin Pro for giggles. On the plus side, it mixed up to 7.7 dKh, 390 calcium, and 1365 magnesium which was almost identical to my tank this week (calcium of 385 and magnesium was 1380 but well inside margin of error for the test kits). I only tried it because I couldnt find Instant Ocean on sale; less then a week later, it was naturally. 

I'll piggyback on that. I've used Reef Crystals or IO since I've been in the hobby. I think Copps mentioned a couple of meetings back that he spoke at was if he could, he'd just have an automatic transfer from the ocean constantly surging through his tank, but he can't, so he uses Reef Crystals. 

9 minutes ago, madweazl said:

My two cents (after using Instant Ocean for 20+ years), you arent going to find much better. Some of the most well respected "pros" in the hobby and industry use Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals. The likelihood of salt making any difference in the overall health and growth of your corals is slim to none. With that said, I just ordered a box of Tropic Marin Pro for giggles. I only tried it because I couldnt find Instant Ocean on sale; less then a week later, it was naturally. On the plus side, it mixed up to 7.7 dKh, 390 calcium, and 1365 magnesium which was almost identical to my tank this week (calcium of 385 and magnesium was 1380 but well inside margin of error for the test kits).

Thanks!  I'll go ahead and order some and just let my neighbors know that some heavy stuff is coming and sorry!

PetSmart had IO on sale for half price last week when I bought some. Maybe it is still on sale there.

I use IO. Like anything your salt alone doesn’t mean your ca and alk will be perfect. Still need to test and dose! Also some debate to use amino acids if it helps.