Jason Fox's different approach

sen5241b

Curious theory on the blue light. 

People raised a lot of beautiful corals under 20kK (very blue) radiums for many years. I'm not at all surprised by Jason's approach. 

Granted, the spectrum of a radium peaks at 450nm whereas the actinics will likely be in the 420-430nm range, but the point is that blue develops a lot of color.

I'll add, too, that the camera may be lying just a little as it struggles to white balance in such blue-biased lighting.

Edited by Origami
Added radium spectrum

People raised a lot of beautiful corals under 20kK (very blue) radiums for many years. I'm not at all surprised by Jason's approach.

Granted, the spectrum of a radium peaks at 450nm whereas the actinics will likely be in the 420-430nm range, but the point is that blue develops a lot of color.

I'll add, too, that the camera may be lying just a little as it struggles to white balance in such blue-biased lighting.

Yeah, I noticed some trouble with the camera attempting to pickup. Above all else, JF thinks flow is more important. Beautiful system, it’s gotta be so much work though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just changed my program to 8 hours of blue and purple with very small amounts of green and red, like 5% and approximately 20% UV. Overall I have reduced light so I can't believe it would be harmful.

In the video Fox said when he dove down on reefs it seemed it was all blue light. When I dove a reef in Indonesia earlier this year, it surprised me how dim the light is at only 20 feet. Seems like the biggest myth in this hobby is you need tons of light. My biggest mistake was burning corals under too much light.

I don't think I would change up what I'm doing, especially lighting wise. 

I think the corals adapt, as Rob always says "it's light, it grows things." 

All you read about is people bragging about their high par but I also have difficulty doing it. If things are 100% happy it’s achievable in my tank but if they aren’t up to 100% on the health meter I feel like they can’t handle it. The high par definitely brings some extra colors out I have not seen in my tank though. As far as the blue goes I don’t run my tanks all blue as it bothers my eyes and I don’t like the look as much. So the only opinion i have on that matter is that there is more than one way to skin a cat. The acro colors are close to where they need to be if not spot on so there is no need to adjust to more blue spectrum

Edited by gmerek2

It's been a long while, but corals can grow quite well at 180 PAR units (micromoles/square meter, I think). Remember, though, corals aren't all the same - not by a long shot. You'll find variation between species, within species, and even within species growing on the same reef. Some grow in deeper water where much of the red light has been filtered out and blue remains. And some grow better in shallow water where the spectrum is fuller and the light is more intense. There really is no one-size-fits-all answer despite people tending to want to gravitate to one.

It's been a long while, but corals can grow quite well at 180 PAR units (micromoles/square meter, I think). Remember, though, corals aren't all the same - not by a long shot. You'll find variation between species, within species, and even within species growing on the same reef. Some grow in deeper water where much of the red light has been filtered out and blue remains. And some grow better in shallow water where the spectrum is fuller and the light is more intense. There really is no one-size-fits-all answer despite people tending to want to gravitate to one.

I just got back from Pacific East Aquaculture and they're running all blue light with strong flow. This is changed since I was last there. Since I switched to all blue my corals are perking up. My zoas have been closed for months and now they're open.

He did say some shallow water corals like acroporas need some white light too

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Edited by sen5241b

I too am running basically all blue.. I have one t5 bulb that gives a small amount of white, along with one actinic bulb.. my leds I do not turn on the white channel...

I also am running relatively low light and my corals have never looked or grown better... I dont have acros... but montis, Lps, zoas etc seem to be growing and showing better colors...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk