Flickr

madweazl

Flickr is about to be "acquired" by SmugMug so we may be losing on another picture host soon :( They have a great site, sure hope there aren't any changes but I'm not holding my breath for the "revitalized" site. 

I hope not. I'm getting pretty sick of switching picture hosts. These guys are all nothing but digital pirates. 

I hope not. I'm getting pretty sick of switching picture hosts. These guys are all nothing but digital pirates. 

They're providing a service so I cant say it's anything like piracy but having to swap hosts is a pain, especially when this one has been around for so long and is so clean. 

They're providing a service so I cant say it's anything like piracy but having to swap hosts is a pain, especially when this one has been around for so long and is so clean. 

Photobucket literally ransomed everybody. So much good information lost. It's not very encouraging, especially in a community that already struggles with current hosting sites and links. Flickr is nowhere near as cumbersome as Photobucket, loads quickly, little harder to link, but not the end of the world. I wish there was a good solution, I'm seeing a lot more often "text for pictures," and I think that people don't share as much because it's difficult. 

I wonder what the business model would be for people like us who won't be hosting pictures out to 1 million people but want to be able to share a few photos occasionally. I have webspace that i use for that kind of thing but I think a lot of people would pay a couple dollars a month or like $20 a year to have an easy way to upload and share pictures.

I wonder what the business model would be for people like us who won't be hosting pictures out to 1 million people but want to be able to share a few photos occasionally. I have webspace that i use for that kind of thing but I think a lot of people would pay a couple dollars a month or like $20 a year to have an easy way to upload and share pictures.

I wonder what the price would be to WAMAS or the complication? Seeing as the officers/mods/WAMAS is all completely volunteer, I hate suggesting asinine projects. I would definitely pay an extra $20 on top of membership. I think the issue is is that the cost is always there, so even if I decide I don't care about a decade worth of pictures that I was paying to host, WAMAS still carries whatever the associated cost is, or deletes them? 

Photobucket literally ransomed everybody. So much good information lost. It's not very encouraging, especially in a community that already struggles with current hosting sites and links. Flickr is nowhere near as cumbersome as Photobucket, loads quickly, little harder to link, but not the end of the world. I wish there was a good solution, I'm seeing a lot more often "text for pictures," and I think that people don't share as much because it's difficult. 

Yea, Photobucket became flat out unusable as a free service; I'm not sure what made them believe anyone would pay for their hosting service if the first impression they got was being bombarded with adds. 

I wonder what the price would be to WAMAS or the complication? Seeing as the officers/mods/WAMAS is all completely volunteer, I hate suggesting asinine projects. I would definitely pay an extra $20 on top of membership. I think the issue is is that the cost is always there, so even if I decide I don't care about a decade worth of pictures that I was paying to host, WAMAS still carries whatever the associated cost is, or deletes them? 

I think the biggest issue for WAMAS giving it a go would be an easy to use interface. I have to use an FTP client for my webspace, which is not the most user friendly thing ever, not to mention managing accounts and such. I guess maybe WAMAS could do some kind of "extra" account and maybe raise their attachment quota? Not sure, it may be more trouble (especially long term like you pointed out) than it is worth.

(edited)

I can think of a couple of different methods to do the same thing.

1 - Standup your own photo web site, provide share links from there.  There are several hosting providers out there, some very inexpensive.  However, the maintenance responsibility.  Several providers provide simple "one-click" installs of the software.

2 - I know photos.google.com also allow you to set up albums and share individual pictures.  Have not tried to embed them into a forum yet, maybe I can give that a whirl.  

With all that being said, I have had a smugmug account for years, since I use it for providing photo galleries to family.  Works well and takes my maintenance responsibility out of it.  Not sure what flicker acquisition will mean between the two.  

Just my .02

Edit1 - just tried to link a photo from google and it will not allow me to use the extension on this forum.  Going to try the next. One - here was the photo link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sWly5OiOIzXLDi9s2

Edit2 - this was completed with smugmug and using bbcode - so that works, i guess similar to flickr - and yeah sorry, just fed them, so things are closed and particulate is floating.  really need to get a gel for the cell phone..

IMG_20180522_142946-M.jpg

Edited by jayh

(edited)

I have been struggling with flickr :( i copy bbcode (that in itself is a struggle), paste and when I preview the post, I only see the code. Maybe it will post as a picture once I click submit... let me try. Edit - it worked. wow.

Edited by marinap