Protein Skimmer Options

Franco

Saltwater noob here - Wanted to pick the brains of the some of the more experienced hobbyists about the best approach for a protein skimmer for my situation.

Currently, I have a 45 gallon reef running without a sump or skimmer (I know, I know). When I bought it, I thought it came with a sump and all the goods, but much to my dismay, it didn't. No harm no foul, just a bump in the road.

Anyway, fast forward to now, and I've decided that I'd like a larger tank to accommodate some fish that need more space than what I have currently. Found a great deal on a 120 gallon tank and stand, and I'm picking it up this weekend. The plan is to drill the 120.

So I'd like to get a skimmer that I can use on my 45 currently, without having to set up a sump for it that will be obsolete in the near future, that will also be able to handle the 120. 

So that being said, do y'all have any suggestions?

IMO, You don't really need a skimmer or sump for for 45 at the moment. Just keep up with the water change.

Concentrate on the new tank, drill it and spent $ and time to get the proper equipment for new tank.

Depends what you’re keeping and what you want to keep.

I’d go with an Avast CS1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d go with an Avast CS1

Thanks for the recommendation. I expect to have a mixed reef setup, including SPSs, in the 120. I plan on including both a PS and an algae turf scrubber in the sump.

I’d go with an Avast CS1

Avast CS1 would work better in a sump. I think that he's talking about a skimmer on his sumpless 45 as well as the 120 later on.

I think that Chuck has the right idea. :  Instead of looking for a skimmer that satisfies both sets of requirements, look for the best skimmer that you can afford for your 120 and do water changes on the 45 until it's time to transition to the 120. Heck, if you're budgeting for a 10% weekly water change on the 120, that's a 30% weekly water change on the 40. Same operating expense that you're willing to spend to maintain the 120, but with exaggerated impact on the 40.

Avast CS1 would work better in a sump. I think that he's talking about a skimmer on his sumpless 45 as well as the 120 later on.

I think that Chuck has the right idea. : Instead of looking for a skimmer that satisfies both sets of requirements, look for the best skimmer that you can afford for your 120 and do water changes on the 45 until it's time to transition to the 120. Heck, if you're budgeting for a 10% weekly water change on the 120, that's a 30% weekly water change on the 40. Same operating expense that you're willing to spend to maintain the 120, but with exaggerated impact on the 40.

Yep, you're spot on with what my original question. Sorry to anyone else if that was unclear.

Sounds like setting up the 120 is the move and just doing diligent water changes on the 45. While I'm sure the water quality in the 45 would be better with a PS, it's definitely more of a "nice to have" than a necessity at this point it seems.

And good call on the larger water changes - surely can't hurt to do a little extra volume in the meantime to keep nitrate levels low.

I think that Chuck has the right idea. :  Instead of looking for a skimmer that satisfies both sets of requirements, look for the best skimmer that you can afford for your 120 and do water changes on the 45 until it's time to transition to the 120. Heck, if you're budgeting for a 10% weekly water change on the 120, that's a 30% weekly water change on the 40. Same operating expense that you're willing to spend to maintain the 120, but with exaggerated impact on the 40.

Yep, you're spot on with what my original question. Sorry to anyone else if that was unclear.

Sounds like setting up the 120 is the move and just doing diligent water changes on the 45. While I'm sure the water quality in the 45 would be better with a PS, it's definitely more of a "nice to have" than a necessity at this point it seems.

And good call on the larger water changes - surely can't hurt to do a little extra volume in the meantime to keep nitrate levels low.

Oh. IMO I think you'd be hard pressed to find a HOB skimmer that would efficiently hit the 40-120 range. I agree with the other recommendations.