Moving pains

madweazl

We bought a home today and are set to close April 20th. On the plus side, it's only a couple miles from the current house but moving the tank is going to be a pain regardless. I dont think we'll have everything ready for the 150g (done how I want it anyways) in time to simply make a transfer. Planning on using a Rubbermaid tub for the transfer tank here at the current house while we move the 75g. Bad timing with the little frags doing so well, hopefully there aren't any casualties. 

On the plus side, I gained a 1700sq' basement that I can finish in any manner I please so I expect to have a very nice fish room. The office is roughly the same size as the current place so my 75g can stay in there and the 150g can move into the living room (gained a little more square footage there). I can support the floor in that area perfectly and get the sump up a few feet for easy maintenance along with some QTs and the mixing station. Easy access to all of the plumbing at my finger tips! 

The place actually had a perfect spot for a peninsula or island tank but I'm a couple months too late on that now. Needs a little paint but otherwise nice. 

38967140830_ed56ccf1ca_b.jpg

Edited by madweazl

Congrats! love the open floor.

Why not take the opportunity to upgrade instead of moving the tanks? 

The 150g is the upgrade (couple months in the making right now), the 75g will be a move. I'm not sure I want the maintenance of a tank larger than 150g. 

Congratulations on the new house ..

Peninsula would look nice there

8b3aae1ec71cf296600795940dc7ecc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the new house ..

Peninsula would look nice there

8b3aae1ec71cf296600795940dc7ecc8.jpg

Not to sidetrack this thread, but is that yours? If it is, why is there not a build thread?! Thanks!

Not to sidetrack this thread, but is that yours? If it is, why is there not a build thread?! Thanks!

No not mine @YHSublime just a my dream concept

The 150g is the upgrade (couple months in the making right now), the 75g will be a move. I'm not sure I want the maintenance of a tank larger than 150g.

This is not mine just had it saved from google images.. for reference

I also bought a new home and will be moving around the same time you are.  I also have to transport everything in my tank but I am leaving the tank in the wall for the new people.  I bought a new tank for the new home.  I am moving 60 miles but my fish are getting the horrors.   :ohmy:

I also bought a new home and will be moving around the same time you are.  I also have to transport everything in my tank but I am leaving the tank in the wall for the new people.  I bought a new tank for the new home.  I am moving 60 miles but my fish are getting the horrors.   :ohmy:

I've been following your saga as well :) Thankfully I'm only going a couple miles, it could certainly be much worse. Only thing that bums me out is how well the acroporas are doing; they have really started to take off and now I'm going to mess with them again. 

I am planning on losing most if not all of my corals.  In my new place in the tank space there is no heat, almost no electric, no water, no drain so I have a little work to do before the tank will be functioning semi correctly.  But before I do anything with the tank except put water and fish in it I need to do a lot of other work in the place like install lights.  i didn't want the builders lights, I built my own along with the bed and some of the furniture so I have to put in all that stuff.  I will also be putting in an elevator as my condo is above the workshop and garage and my wife has MS so she doesn't do stairs well.  That is why I doubt I will have corals left. 

I also have no tank light except for my present water cooled LEDs which are to small for that tank but for a while they will have to do. 

Edited by paul b

I don't think it's a matter of doing it right, I just recently purchased a standard tank and had a stand built for it so the peninsula/island setup isn't worth the financial hit to replace. The contents of the 75g will be transferred back to the 75g but it would have been handy to transfer things into the 150g from the start. That is a possibility but then I'd be making a compromise on how I want the 150g done (plumbed into a fish room in the basement) which will take some time to plan. 

Maybe it’s time to sell all the corals and livestock, then you’ll have time to do it right.

I never sold anything, if anything I would give it away.  But they may live, only the strong survive.  I think thats a song.  :cool:

I am building the new stand today.  I have to make it so it comes apart to fit in my car

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Copy/paste of my post on another forum that was relevant to the move. 

We moved into our new home last week necessitating a transfer of the tank. I have an acropora dominated 75g with a 30g sump (total volume of approx 75g). The tank has approx 50lb of rock (5lb of Fiji live and the rest made up of BRS reef saver) along with 120lbs of Nature's Ocean bio-active black sand. I vacuum the sand two or three times per year but it is always surprisingly clean (I get some muck out, just not nearly as much as I would have suspected given how heavily I feed).

For the move, I purchased a 65g tank to setup in the new house to act as a transition tank. No sump, just heaters and a pair of Jebao PP8s for flow. I transferred the rock but dumped the sand into two 5g buckets. The sand sat in the buckets for 3.5 days; they were in the house at a temp of 75°. Once I got the 75g moved and set back up, I placed the rock and corals back into it (the fish and other inverts remained in the 65g) along with the sand. I didnt rinse it, didnt do anything with it but dump it back in the tank. After about two hours I checked for ammonia and nitrite with none detected so I dumped the fish and inverts back in. No issues what-so-ever. Oh, the tank was filled with 50g of fresh mixed IO and the remaining 25g came from the transfer tank (filled with the original water from the 75g). This was completed on May 3rd. My normal test routine is on Saturdays while I mix 10g of fresh water for a change on Sunday; I test alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, phosphate, and nitrate. Nitrates are typically <1ppm (usually less than half that using a Salifert kit but it gets hard to read down that low) and phosphates are typically <.07ppm (Hanna ULR). On Saturday, nitrates were 5ppm and phosphates were .077. I have not tested again this week but everything looks completely normal and I had to increase alkalinity dosing slightly higher than prior to the move.

My point? I dont know what causes this "mini-cycle" madness or some of the other craziness that gets blamed on moving sand around but I find the accounts less and less credible as time goes by (now in my 22nd year of reefing). My sand sat in 5g buckets, for 80+ hours without excess water (I drained as much off as I could) and had very little measurable affect on anything. Maybe I just got "lucky" again... My overwhelming suspicion, as always, is that it takes a combination of multiple things going wrong to cause a catastrophe (provided the basics for life support are within reason).

My AquaticLog entries if anyone is interested.

Edited by madweazl