TO DRILL OR NOT TO DRILL

Newbie012000

Hello everyone. I have a large pice of Tonga Rock that weighs about 30 lbs. I am considering drilling the base/stem of the rock but am a little worried about cracking it even if I drill slow and deliberate. I’m just not certain about the structural intergrity of the stem withstanding any drilling. I would like to drill it so that I can install a rod to adhere it to another rock.

I have attached some pics. Please provide your thoughts and and experience.

post-2636546-0-33938900-1519071951_thumb.jpeg

post-2636546-0-22815700-1519071962_thumb.jpeg

post-2636546-0-37966300-1519071981_thumb.jpeg

post-2636546-0-84769600-1519071996_thumb.jpeg

post-2636546-0-38984700-1519072015_thumb.jpeg

Try putting a little vinegar on it. If it bubbles, it's likely calcium carbonate and should be soft enough that you can drill it without cracking. Just take it slow and let the drill do the work for you.

Seems fairly flat, but place it on a towel / foam / cardboard to support it in its entirety when drilling. Use a drill press if you have access to one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have drilled and pinned Tonga many times and never had any issues.

The key to a successful outcome is the bit. Get yourself a diamond hole saw and keep it cool and free of debris with a small stream of water. The bits can be bought at most any hardware stores.

Here is a pic of a piece I glued and pinned together. If I remember correctly, it was 4 pieces when I started. 880f901057c16e922050696e2fcde290.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I put the rock I’m drilling in a container with the surface of the rock at or just below the waterline. I’ve drilled pukani, fiji, and tonga rock. I use a hammer drill with 1/4” and 1/2” diamond coated twist drill bits. I got the drill bits on line from Hong Kong/China. thk.hk is the website. Ten and fifteen dollars for a set of 5 1/4” and 3 1/2”. They also sell the diamond coated hole saws for drilling glass that everybody likes.

Thx guys. I purchased a diamond hole saw today. I kept the bit cool with water and initially I was making a lot of progress, then I hit a hard spot that literally took about 10 minutes to start making progress again, but I took my time and eventually got through. It took about 20 minutes which in my opinion was too long. I must have been doing something wrong, but in the end it worked perfectly and did not crack. Thx for all of the input. I am now just about done aqauscaping.

CONGRATS on your success!

Please don't forget to share your outcome with a few pics