Encrusting Algae ID

Stephen

When you say, "encrusting," do you mean that it's a calcifying algae? Or simply that it grows as a low mat on surfaces? Does it show any 3D characteristics, like lobophora (brown wafer algae)? Are you sure it's algae and not a bacterial mat?

When you say, "encrusting," do you mean that it's a calcifying algae? Or simply that it grows as a low mat on surfaces? Does it show any 3D characteristics, like lobophora (brown wafer algae)? Are you sure it's algae and not a bacterial mat?

I'd guess it's calciferous. No 3D characteristics. It does looks similar to lobophora but the bits I have are growing in a sheet. I found that piece encrusting a rock I have a frag mounted to. There's another spot that's encrusting on the egg crate. Noticed more as I looked further. Have a top down camera attachment coming this week so hope to get some better shots with my dslr when that arrives.

Try this page. I just stumbled on it.

It's focused on the wrong waters, but it may provide you with a family or genus that may be a start.

Try this page. I just stumbled on it.

It's focused on the wrong waters, but it may provide you with a family or genus that may be a start.

Thanks. Spent a while there looking and came up short.