Hippo tang will not eat. Help

cane

I’ve tried everything. Nori, romaine lettuce, pellets soaked in garlic, black worms, live misis shrimp, frozen misis and brine shrimp. Nothing it will not eat anything. Was in QT and did not eat. Looks great minus the sunk in stomach. No spots etc. Treated with prozipro prior to hitting DT. Water is perfect. Please help as I feel he will not last much longer.

Well, just because there's no spots doesn't mean there's no parasites.  Ich, velvet, and brook attack the gills first and fish can suffocate from the gill damage long before they get spots on their body.

Any behaviorial symptoms besides not eating? Swimming directly into powerhead flow or spending a lot of time at the water's surface?  Breathing fast?  Fins clamped?  Staying well hidden when the lights are on, but coming out more when the lights are out?

Do you have any meds besides prazipro?  Acriflavine, formalin, or copper?  I'd have to check, but I don't think hippo tangs tolerate chloroquine phosphate.  If there are other symptoms I would start with doing a 5 minute freshwater dip to buy some time.

Some wild-caught specimens simply don't adapt well to captivity, and some even suffer from capture methods used. It might be that you've got a specimen that moved very quickly from capture to resale, and it's never adapted. I hope that you're able to coax it to eat and adapt. 

Thanks Tom. I hope so, he isn’t small and cost me a lot. I have had horrible luck with Hippo tangs. EVERYTHING else I’ve ever had has thrived but Hippos have not done well for me.

How long was it in quarantine without eating and how long has it been in your display?

Two weeks in QT with a Naso and a few days in DT. Probably shouldn’t have put him in DT but it worked for me a few yrs ago on another fish