Reccomendations for a inline heater for 225 gal

johnnybv

I'm only familiar with the Hydor ETH inline heaters. Those relied on tubing, not hard plumbing, though - didn't they? You'd have to rely on PVC to barb fittings to make it work. If the threads are a standard pipe thread, you might be able to thread a hard coupler on - but not sure if that's a possibility.

Years ago, I remember Dan (from Avast), back in the pre-GSA days, doing a build thread on an inline heater that used regular PVC, regular heaters and probe glands. 

(I just found it - it's here - ten years ago.... Just in case you're in a DIY mood.)

Dan's design is very similar to LifeGard Aquatics AF-92 series of in-line heater modules, but Dan may have staggered the in/out of his design. So if you're not in a DIY mood, you can look to pick up several of those and rigging them up in series. 

The Lifeguard ones look like they make a seal on the glass body of an eheim or something?

Exactly. They use what I call probe glands (but they're also called cord grips in the world of electricians). They're similar to what's used to hold a pH probe in place on a calcium reactor - just larger, so they fit the quartz glass envelope on a heater.

I think the double lifgaurd will work, it will allow me to put a 300 or maybe even a 500w heater in it, I just need to engneer the plumbing, its smaller than my 2" ...