A New Dawn

madweazl

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a lot done today :) Bends in the PVC to the pumps didn't come out as clean as I wanted but it's functional. 

48741008897_4b31369c37_h.jpg

Left to do:

1) Order 1" flexible PVC to run from the main lines coming into the basement all the way to the sump. 

2) Connect primary and emergency drains to the sump.

3) Build manifold for the reactors and plumb the return line.

4) Order fittings and bulkheads to connect 1/4" ATO line to the sump and RO/DI to mixing station.

5) Finish plumbing the stand's drain to the home's sewer. 

Concerns:

1) The Reeflow is connected to 1" input lines when they recommend no smaller than 1.5". I'm only shooting for approx. 600gph flow rates so I'm hopeful it will work out just fine. If not, I'll be ordering in Iwaki. 

2) I'm using the return pump's input line (from the sump) to push water from the mixing station back into the sump. I haven't calculated the water level in the sump for a 15g and 30g water change but I'm hoping the PanWorld 100PX has enough muscle to combat the head pressure in  the return chamber. 

On 7/1/2019 at 7:31 PM, ImGoingCoastal said:

Where did you get the parts for your light assembly? I was considering doing something like that myself instead of buying the aquaticlife fixture.

-A-a-ron

This is awesome.  I want to make my own fixture to hang my mix of LEDs (I ended up with an AI 52 and a XR15 G4.... don't ask), so I need a way to hang them both and make a floating canopy.  I'm totally going to use this idea!  Then affix wood to the sides using magnets I think!  This is awesome!!

Your whole build is coming along quite nicely!

Edited by TrueTricia

Starting to take shape now! Got the manifold started for the reactors and return pump but still need to wire the supports to the ceiling (should be able to knock that out tomorrow). The fresh water portion of the mixing station is up and running (little over half full in this picture) and I built a few cheap shelves (they're $30 at Lidl right now) to hold odds and ends (need to seal the particle board so they hold up).

48751792738_b874a89ffb_h.jpg

The flexible PVC is supposed to arrive tomorrow so I should be able to tie the display into the sump tomorrow evening.

Edit: the drain is working great! Hopefully the float valve in the fresh water tank is at the appropriate level and I don't push water down the drain all night LOL. 

Float valve did its job and I woke up to a full freshwater tank. It was measuring 1 TDS (I didn't rinse the containers) so I transferred that over to the saltwater tank and then drained it. All the plumbing from both tanks to the drain were leak free :) The freshwater is refilling now and is measuring 0 TDS; once full, I'll actually mix up some saltwater in preparation to fill the sump. If the flexible PVC gets here early enough, I may have this running late tonight! 

This looks amazing!  Great job on the shelves for cheap!  You can also use some scrap wood to build in some shelving between the studs.  It's great for just little bottles of things.  I feel like your peg board behind the sump will also be really useful!  I can't wait to see what you do with that.  I might actually install some of that in my stand, now that I think about it.

It's always nerve-wracking to see if the float valve will work!  Glad to hear there are no leaks!

Also, I was watching one of Neptune's YouTube videos from MACNA, and one guy was talking about the way he built his controller board using spacers to hold the controllers away from the board so that the cords go behind them.  Sounded like an awesome idea, and found the spacers cheap on Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005C0L5ZW/?coliid=I2K43H8LC93DJB&colid=30HDFCEVI3SSI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it  Thought you might like that as well with your clean, modern look.  

Edited by TrueTricia

14 minutes ago, TrueTricia said:

This looks amazing!  Great job on the shelves for cheap!  You can also use some scrap wood to build in some shelving between the studs.  It's great for just little bottles of things.  I feel like your peg board behind the sump will also be really useful!  I can't wait to see what you do with that.  I might actually install some of that in my stand, now that I think about it.

It's always nerve-wracking to see if the float valve will work!  Glad to hear there are no leaks!

That will get drywall some century LOL. I also have to frame in the rest of the room (and basement for that matter). 

Edited by madweazl

3 minutes ago, madweazl said:

That will get drywall some century LOL. I also have to frame in the rest of the room (and basement for that matter). 

You can drywall in some shelves!  Haha!  Good luck!  I have a couple projects from last century that are still waiting for the last 1% of the work to be done.  

Everything is plumbed (that I can think of anyways) and I'm mixing up a batch of saltwater. I'll be throwing the switch in the next half hour; sure hope I got everything right...

48757063391_76fa2ac628_h.jpg

OK, quite a bit of re-work to do. The threaded bulkheads didn't hold up; five of the seven had cracks. These were all hand tight and I used thread sealant instead of tape. To say I'm not impressed is an understatement. I have six slip x slip on hand that I'll replace those with (and ordered three more). I already swapped the ones in the tank's overflow but the other four are on the sump and that will require some more extensive work. Should have it back online this evening for another test run. Other than the bulkheads, the rest of the plumbing was event free. 

Just got done with the repairs to the sump's plumbing. Not as attractive as it was but I can still remove the manifold and the additional unions should relieve any torsional stress that would have been transferred to the bulkheads is the tees weren't parallel to one another. Each segment can be maintained/repaired individually if need be (knock on wood). 

48761250648_1096da7ea0_h.jpg

As luck would have it, the lone remaining threaded bulkhead leaked today LOL. Should have the replacements for it tomorrow and it gives everything time to fully cure before I start it up again but I sure want to see this thing up and running before the tank hits two years old (some time in October IIRC). On the plus side, not a single solvent joint has leaked and there are a bunch on this setup; gotta take wins anyway you can get 'em :)

48762063273_342893880c_h.jpg

59 minutes ago, madweazl said:

Decided to go with GHL (mega set). 

Nice. I have been using an older GHL Profilux 3 for about 2 years and haven't really had too many issues that I couldn't figure out by reading the forums on R2R and GHL website. The new app is really easy to use and lets me control my GHL 2.0 dosers as well.