New to sumps

Dxo6669

So I've never run a sump before and I think of bit off a little bit more than I can chew at the beginning I want to know from your guys's opinion and history on running sumps how pointless it would be to run a 20-gallon 3 chamber sump as like a three-stage filter until I can collect the rest of the items needed for the sump just to get the tank up and running and start the cycling process. All advice and where criticism is greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I dont have a sump, so I can’t offer my experiences....

But theres a guy on reefcentral who uses an empty sump solely to increase water volume and gas exchange. He uses no other mechanical nor chemical filter. He maintains his tanks by doing 10% weekly water changes for for the last 20+ years.

Based on that, I’d say even an empty sump ( with a heater of course) can be very useful.

My opinion is yes, that would be pointless. Nothing in a typical three stage filter (i.e. sponge/floss, carbon, and bio media of some type) is going to provide anything meaningful to the system. For me, a sump is good for a few things:

Increase volume

Provide space to hide unsightly items like heaters, pumps, etc.

Promote the growth of something beneficial that you don't necessarily want to see in your display (algae, frags, cryptic zones, etc.)

You've pretty much got the gist of why people run sumps above. 

I've run nano's with just a HOB (Hang on back) filter, and I've run big sumps. For me, the purpose of a sump is to keep all the equipment out of your display! For example, the build I'm doing right now is a 22 gallon nano. I'm putting about a 30 gallon sump on it. The person who owned it before me had an internal overflow box they installed, to keep the equipment out of sight, and promote water flow, but it took up a tremendous amount of tank realestate. I only plan on having a few fish, but I like to feed heavy, so I'll be able to throw in 30 extra gallons of water, an overpowered skimmer, heater, and maybe a fuge, all while promoting water flow. 

So pretty much I need to use one for a skimmer one for a refuge and one just to grow algae or something else and if I want to or just leave it empty

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

You can get really fancy ones, but you have the basic idea about a sump.  Often there are baffles in it to keep bubbles out of the return pump or to provide a stable water level for the skimmer to sit in.  That's sometimes important, depending on the skimmer.  With some baffles you can also have a smaller volume of water to use for sensing evaporation.  The chamber that the return pump sits in will be the one that the water level drops in as it evaporates.  Then you add new DI water to replace evaporation based on the return chamber water level.

Also, if you configure a sump.  Make sure you shut off the return pump at some point and watch it siphon back down to make sure it doesn't overflow the sump.

That skimmer will likely be big enough.  Just get one with good reviews.